Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Stroker Kit 331-347 with a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default Stroker Kit 331-347 with a turbo

Looking to rebuild my engine. I am thinking of instead of just putting forged component to handle some boost later on this year, that I would also stroke it a bit. I see 331 ci and 347 ci kits. Now, is there anything bad with using forced induction such as an intercooled t4 turbo with a stroker? Anything I should worry about or plan for? My goal for now is about 400 whp later on doing upwards and probably no more than 500hp. I dont want to have to do too much bracing underneath, plus I have to figure in some suspension components, fuel delivery, and some power delivery components I.E. wheels, tires, clutch, etc... I would like to go with an aluminum block...but that would be later, thats a bit more cash than I will have to spend yet. I do plan on going with some patriot aluminum heads with a stage 3 port and some mild cams. I really only want to go upwards of 12 lbs of boost, prob keep it at 9. I want to keep it streetable, rather than focusing on an crazy all boost machine. So basically, what type of problems will I encounter? Excessive chassis flex? Will this likely give me more power than I need? I am debating if I should even bother stroking it or not. I just really don't want to have to deal with a lot of boost. But I like being able to turn up the power so I dont have to gobble TOO much gas....still going to be a lot though. Lol. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stroker Kit 331-347 with a turbo

bump
Old 04-05-2008, 12:00 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

What. Is this a stupid question or something?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

If your gonna upgrade the block eventually, dont bother with the stroker cause its pointless to stroke a stock block if your getting a new one that can handle the power your outin to it. i have a stock block with a masterpower turboand some fuel system upgrades and im puttin out about 450 hp safely. your future project with a good block will get you into the 700hp range at easily if not more with the right boost. btw, thats a sweet lookin fox.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:20 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rwdfan

Looking to rebuild my engine. I am thinking of instead of just putting forged component to handle some boost later on this year, that I would also stroke it a bit. I see 331 ci and 347 ci kits. Now, is there anything bad with using forced induction such as an intercooled t4 turbo with a stroker? Anything I should worry about or plan for? My goal for now is about 400 whp later on doing upwards and probably no more than 500hp. I dont want to have to do too much bracing underneath, plus I have to figure in some suspension components, fuel delivery, and some power delivery components I.E. wheels, tires, clutch, etc... I would like to go with an aluminum block...but that would be later, thats a bit more cash than I will have to spend yet. I do plan on going with some patriot aluminum heads with a stage 3 port and some mild cams. I really only want to go upwards of 12 lbs of boost, prob keep it at 9. I want to keep it streetable, rather than focusing on an crazy all boost machine. So basically, what type of problems will I encounter? Excessive chassis flex? Will this likely give me more power than I need? I am debating if I should even bother stroking it or not. I just really don't want to have to deal with a lot of boost. But I like being able to turn up the power so I dont have to gobble TOO much gas....still going to be a lot though. Lol. Thanks.
let me know if you need a stroker kit.

t4 isnt enough turbo. maybe a twin kit.

you can make 400rwhp with a strong 347

suspension and subframe connectors would be a must.

do you really have 4500 to drop on an aluminum block?????

screw patriot heads they are junk

if you have a 5.0 you only have 1 cam

Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

In the future. Sure. I will prob have the 4500. But by that time I might just do a lincoln engine swap instead. Dunno. I know I will prob need to rebuild my engine at some point. The car has 198000 miles on it and Im pretty sure its the original block. Patriot heads have gotten nothing but good reviews as far as I see. They are light and flow well. What would you reccomend instead. I only want about 500 hp in the future here. I know a single turbo is plenty turbo to get ya to 500 hp. Just might need more boost than 12 lbs. if I can get the engine to create about 250 whp naturally aspirated, which these things dyno at what, 175-200? And if I add 1 bar of atmospheric pressure at 14.7 lbs That usually equates into double the hp that you create naturally. I would be at 500hp or over. So, if I take a block making 175 hp add some ported heads, that gets me to 225, a cam, maybe 240 and some exhaust I would be at well over 250 plus my single turbo setup. I know I would prob only have to run 12 lbs. I was just wondering if while I'm at rebuilding the engine if I should go stroked or not. If its actually worth the extra dough. Think I can get a stroker kit for like 1000 or less last I checked.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i would just do a rebuild on the block you have now slap some gt40 heads on with a holley intake and boost it. that will get you your goal of 500 hp without a doubt
Old 04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Why the GT40 Heads? They cost as much new as the patriots just about. Plus the Patriots are aluminum. Well, I will just do some more research on the heads. But I have read like 2 mags with good reviews on them. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

do a search on the Corral on those heads ........... you get what you pay for.

buy cheap ........ get cheap junk