Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
snowboard49dude
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharger or turbo?

I have been looking into buy a supercharger and I dont know what to get. Which one is the better performer? And if I decided to get one, which kind should I get?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger or turbo?

IMO you will have more potential out of the Turbo but the S/C will be a decent bit more reliable. I would go with the S/C unless it is not a daily driver. From asking a similar question I would recommend Kenne Bell if you want a twin screw and Vortech if you want a centrifuge. JMO.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Procharger is nice
Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

GO TURBO!! more power, more torque and easyier to adjust to what you want. of course im a little partial. it really comes down to budget and personal preference. but before you do either, dont forget to add fuel system upgrades into your price.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

someone said superchargers were more reliable than turbo???[:@]
Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Fobra
Banned

.. yea they are in alot of ways, mostly tuning - but if setup right /used right the turbo is more reliable - but for consistancy the s/c wins
Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I personally prefer turbo. Superchargers are more reliable though, but if you understand what's going on turbo's are plenty reliable & you can easily make it outlast the engine. The fluid bearing turbos aren't too expensive to rebuild either. I've never tried rebuilding a ball bearing turbo, but both the shop i buy my rebuild kits from & the one i buy my flanges from say it's expensive & to my knowledge it's hard to find places to rebuild it (but i've never tried). Either way though, if maintained properly a ball bearing turbo would still outlast the engine. oil changes on time, letting the engine warm up to operating temp (or turbo rather) before getting on it, & letting it idle for a bit before shutting it down (turbo timers are handy for that) to prevent coking. Those kinds of things if over looked can damage the turbo early.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Fobra
Banned

+1 for ceramic ball bearing
Old 04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
snowboard49dude
1st Gear Member

well I drive my mustang close to everyday, unless if its wet then I dont drive it. But I want something that gives me alot of power and at the same time reliable enough to not screw me or my engine over; ie: having to rebuld anything.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

It's nothing to do with the reliability of the actual turbo compressor itself. In terms of compressor reliability, a turbo can easily see 100,000+ miles without even a hiccup as long as it is properly maintained. The things to watch when turbocharging your mustang are mainly if you see drastic changes in your local climate. Up here in Ohio, it is very easy in the summer for it to be 90 degrees one day, and 65 degrees the next. Drastic changes in temperature can cause drastic changes in your turbos performance. It can create boost spike or even boost creep(usually that is due to other things) which could be detrimental to your engine. There are ways to tune around it but that means you have to be overly conservative with your tune and not see your maximum potential, unless you have a way to watch your a/f ratio and modify your tune each day.

Both superchargers and turbos have their ups and downs. It's all a matter of how you want to play and sound. Either one will make you fast as hell, both sound and operate very different.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo?