Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Looking for best parts to build a 700-1000hp monster with kb 2.6L competition supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Colonelwagster

Default RE: Looking for best parts to build a 700-1000hp monster with kb 2.6L competition supercharger

first off, there's a certain bond between a boy and his first car. And second the vortech is a centrifugal supercharger, it doesn't give you the same kind of power a twin screw would. Vortech is for top speed
Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Looking for best parts to build a 700-1000hp monster with kb 2.6L competition supercharger

if you're trying to build a 700RWHP+ monster, then having a twin screw would be worthless. there's no way you're going to get that power to the ground. let alone 1000RWHP. even if you have stock gears, that much power with a twin screw is just stupid. hell, 700RWHP+ on even a centrifugal or turbo car is pretty worthless. you know the saying... "what's the difference between a 600RWHP supra and a 1200RWHP supra? nothing, they both run 12s!"

there was a guy that used to post here (jdaniel) who had a 650RWHP cobra and it ran low 12s, but yet, a local guy (allen) had his stock boost, no pulley, non-ported, non-juiced 03 cobra ran high 10s (fastest in the country for an 03/04 cobra on stock boost), he just had a solid rear.

there's no need to respond like an *** either.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Off the line torque of the KB's is over estimated.

Sure they take off nice, for about 1/2 a car length, then they get left standing
in the dust.

KB to reach 600+ rwhp is gonna take A LOT of boost.

Turbo will make same power on a 1/3 less boost.

IMO, anything over 600rwhp on a street car is useless. You cant hook it up
unless you're doing freeway racing to 180mph (which is DUMB), and you just end up
stomping on it someday to show off and the backend goes flying around into a tree/car/curb

As for engine strength. Yes the block will handle the power.
The internals, will not, at least not for long.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Fobra
Banned

you wont make that much power with a KB, most of the ones with 700 or are on race gas and tunes, youre not gonna be able to make that much power in a street car, or a race car without race gas. We all get all bent up on dyno racing, but another thing to remember is that anything over 800 whp is not going to be reliable... with temp and gas changes your taking a big risk, and really 650-700 is pushing it for a street driven car on 93, buyingh fogred internals doesnt mean you can just make 1500 hp now, you have to have the right heads and everything to prevent detonantion... and then the other half of the story is suspensions, a car with a good suspension and 400 whp will stomp a 600 wph cobra with a halfassed IRS. Anyway just consider your goals and be realistic, are you gonna pay $8 a gallon and get 12 mpg on a moster car making 1000 hp... no so dont bs yourself. a turbo making 600-700 rwhp is more than enough to race with anything
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
brian1570
Blart

so u deffinately bought the wrong car for wanting that much hp...not hating i'm just saying be more realistic. try for 500bhp, then get it to hook. its doesnt matter what you use. KB, vortech, hellion, NOS, horsepower is horsepower BUT the car around the powerplant is what makes or brakes the e/t. also screw comp cams go with crower or vt or patriot or livernois. go look up d.s.s. motors and their supermodular long/short blocks. if u cant get hp out of a d.s.s. supermod then u r doing something wrong. and if u r REALLY SERIOUS about 1000hp it will take nothing short of a supermod block. u will also need a full fuel system, go look at aeromitive for that, u will need a 31 spline set of axles w/ a built rear end and at least an auburn pro. w/ 1000 ponies ur frame and body will get twisted up llike wet noodles. u will need a custom done subframe and roll cage setup. so basically your car will be in and out of the shop for about a year solid at least, and it will take more money than most r willing to spend. GOOD LUCK
Old 04-17-2008, 11:20 PM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

Why do you want that much power? Is there a time at the track your aiming for? Do you want it to be a dyno queen? Do you want a little teenage tender's attention? Yeah a 1000hp must sound like a wet dream but theres so many questions. The purpose of car is????? A small spec of a clue of what the goals were for this car "street legal,most power and gnarliest sound". Like nanki stated about the supras about running 12's with 600rwhp or 1200rwhp. If you want to be a fast **** then you can do that with a alot less then 1000hp. Long story short, figure out what you want the car to do and go from there unless the reasons you stated are all you want it for. If so, good luck with that dude and pls be faster then 12 seconds
Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

Straight up, if you want 800-1000rwhp out of a stock GT Iron block your a fool. True its strong, but why be cheap? Your gonna need a pretty badass bottom end, ported heads, built tranny (not a rebuilt stock auto), and a built rear. Not to mention big ol slicks. Kinda sounds like if your in school and your parents are paying for it, you need to worry more about that and less about your car. Just start out with an intercooled S/C kit and push about 400 or so. If you still dont think thats enough.... then trow more money at it. PS: Are you mechanically inclined enough to do all this, and is your car lower mileage?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

trust me when I say a KB 2.6H on a 2v isnt going to make 700whp on a street tune. You need the 2.8H to make those numbers. I know a guy running 20psi on a 2.6 with stage 3 heads/cams and he is only pushing around 630whp. The 2.8 is an $8k kit thats only offered at modular powerhouse. Thats just the price of the kit. Then you need cobra r hood and fuel system. Itll end up bieng around $10k all said and done. I was in the same situation a while back. I found that the turbo will make more power and torque, get better gas mileage while cruising, uses stock hood, uses coilover suspension, and will end up costing alot less than a big kenne bell. I got the 62-1 only because I am on stock heads. The Hellion kit with a 62mm will make 600whp on stock heads/cams. When I get ported heads and cams ill upgrade to a T76 and make alot more hp....I really wanted the nice low end kick from a twin screw, but this turbo is supposed to make full boost by 3000rpm....
Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Colonelwagster

well i know my way well enough to get by mechanically, but i have alot of help too.
the car is supposed to be a 1/4 track car, but i would like to drive it on the street if i feel like it. i want the most power out of a S/C not a turbo. so anyone else please stop trying to convince me. i know the facts and for texas a turbo on a car would mean a frequent tuning and problems with creep and. im paying for the car and everything itself and i have no exact amount i care to spend... all my paychecks go straight into my pocket. and that guy talking about not hooking up, are you trying to say theres no suck thing as a 7 door slammer? because thats what it sounds like. were going to wolfe racing, speedtek, and some old race mechanics that have been at it for 30+ years. i have planty of help in building the thing i just really wanted to know some specificson parts. im also thinking about adding a meth injection after everything else. my main plan through all this was to build the engine up first( heads, cam, bottom end,bottom endis actuallywhat i needalot of inputon), then exhaust, then transmission(if i hadnt already ****canned it, in which case i already have the money for it set off to the side just incase), suspension, subframe connectors, rearend and gears, anything else i might have to do to prepare for the s/c, then once im sure the car is ready for it ill instal the s/c. so any info or input on those would greatly be appreciated.

info on the s/c for anyone interested http://kennebell.net/superchargers/f...t99-04_26L.htm

before the s/c i expect to be running at about 540-600rwhp just engine...i did the math, thats just an estimate though.

btw iv been behind the wheel of a 450rwhp cobra and it just didnt feel like enough lol.
thanx for everyone who has helped so far too, i really appreciate it.

one more thing... the car has only 70k miles on it

new updated list of parts: anything with a ? next to it i would like some input if possible on brands and anything else

Patriot Stage 3 heads (windsor or romeo?)
jba mid-length headers
bassani ss x w/cats
borla stinger CB
2.6l kb s/c (i plan on running 20-24psi)
hitech kb stage 2 cams.550/.550 list 115 lobe sep 234/230 duration
cobra r2000 cowl hood
eibach launch springs
eibach damper kit
custom subframe connectors and cagefrom wolfe racing(drag radial record holder, 7.40@197.62, no wheelie bar)
custom tuning at speedtek(got the hook-ups with the owners daughter )
03 cobra duel pumps and gas tank
eibach anti-roll kit?
2400rpm lock torque converter?
3.73 gears?
Rearend?
fuel system?

let me know if im forgetting anything lol

Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Colonelwagster

ORIGINAL: nanaki

if you're trying to build a 700RWHP+ monster, then having a twin screw would be worthless. there's no way you're going to get that power to the ground. let alone 1000RWHP. even if you have stock gears, that much power with a twin screw is just stupid. hell, 700RWHP+ on even a centrifugal or turbo car is pretty worthless. you know the saying... "what's the difference between a 600RWHP supra and a 1200RWHP supra? nothing, they both run 12s!"

there was a guy that used to post here (jdaniel) who had a 650RWHP cobra and it ran low 12s, but yet, a local guy (allen) had his stock boost, no pulley, non-ported, non-juiced 03 cobra ran high 10s (fastest in the country for an 03/04 cobra on stock boost), he just had a solid rear.

there's no need to respond like an *** either.
i appologize i didnt mean for it to sound like that

Quick Reply: Looking for best parts to build a 700-1000hp monster with kb 2.6L competition supercharger