Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

New Nitrous User!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
95_gtskunk
1st Gear Member

Default New Nitrous User!

I bought a Zex 125 dry kit. Has the box and runs off my throttle position sensor. From what I know this would be a great kit to start with since Ive never used nos before. Im putting it on my 95 GT. Im rebuilding my my motor and bought a short block that has been bored 0.40 over, I really am unsure of cam aggression.. But how much is safe to put on a well built short blockwith stock GT heads, intake, and injectors? 75-100? What are some tips for using nos? Im picking up my short block next week. So whats a safe play range?
[sm=nxsmile.gif]
Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Nitrous User!

I would send a message to some people that Frequent the 4.6(i know u have a 5.0) section about this, there are a few that use NITROUS.(NOS, ZEX) are Brands that Sell Nitrous Kits. I know nothing about Nitrous so i dont want to give u the wrong answer...

ZW99GT, Quick Shot xMLx, 01GT4.6 (There are afew Nitro Guys on the Forum PM THEM)
Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

75 is nothing on your motor.. i spray that on 87 octane and 12* timing......it knocks off 1 full second though

anyways, i'm a dry kit fan, since i never squirt more than 125...thats my cutoff point that i'm comfortable with. rule of thumb says 1/2 of what you make NA is safe to spray in addition

but the nitrous starts to cut ET differently like any other hp does. the more you have....the more it takes to go faster.

75 jets on a 300 hp motor will cut about 1 second.... 150 jets on that 300 hp motor might only cut 1.25 seconds

see what i'm saying ?

75-100 jets will get you the biggest gain, and about 10 full runs per bottle. after that you use a lot more nitrous for less et cut.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

why would you want to spray on 87 octane?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

cuz gas @ 3.70 for regular leaves some of us no other choice.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
95_gtskunk
1st Gear Member

well because I wanna go fast and I love being at the track. I intend on splurgin on some good fuel. I have some slicks cause from what I hear when the nos kicks in you might have an issue with hookin up. So I figure if I bang every gear and have sticky tires I should break a 12. Im pretty confident that is. I will most likely try the 75 shot just to start with. and on a safe high octane fuel. Is there any hints and pointers yall could throw at me for a first time user? and thanks Nitrous_bob that does make sense. that helped!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

well pretty simple imo

the higher octane you use = the slower the fuel burns = the slower you go

i personally am in the business of trying to go faster...not slower.....but thats just me
Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95_gtskunk
Is there any hints and pointers yall could throw at me for a first time user? and thanks Nitrous_bob that does make sense. that helped!
well that is a super easy kit to use, first tip...forget the zex instructions and use the NOS 5115 instructions, they will give you a clear idea on what you need to do. reference the zex instructions...but they are somewhat generic. here is a link, also some good reading for you.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...A5130-SNOS.pdf

next tip... always use a heater, you'll use much less nitrous, you want bottle pressure around 1000 psi, if it goes as low as 600psi even if full...you'll lose about 1/2 of what your jetted for

get cheater slicks soon... you'll see quickly you'll shred the tires on a back to back pass.
NOT purging helps... the gaseous nitrous doesn't hit... so if the line is all gas you can roll out a few feet b4 the liquid makes it to the nozzle. purge looks cool, but you'll kill your 60' even worse on street tires if it is purged.

tips on the install: not much, use 1" self tappers on the bottle brackets and you will not get anywhere the gas tank. mount it on the rigth side of the trunk and feed the line through the drain hole and along the frame rail... i just zip tie it to the rail or fuel line

no matter what ne1 says.... feel free to tap right into the tb for the nozzle. thats what works best on 5.0's imo

i've tried it other ways... and that is the best. some people w/ wet kits might be influenced by having a wet kit and say go 8" or so b4 the tb....thats just not the case w/ a dry kit

like this: BUT !! watch for angle...you have to clear the hood when it closes

hereis some collected info on this site too including the pic i posted above: https://mustangforums.com/m_639288/tm.htm

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 AM
95_gtskunk
1st Gear Member

Thanks a bunch! I flipped through the ZEX installation manual and had a hard time follwing what to do. I have not started install yet and kinda hesitant cause i dont wanna do it wrong. as far as bottle placement. I was thinkin behind my drivers side seat? (good or bad?) and run the line under my carpet through my center console then up the firewall..
Gettin a bottle heater is what you ment i assume? I will hafta check into gettin one. and as far as purging... I need to buy a purge kit right?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
95_gtskunk
1st Gear Member

And I have a question on the fuel subject.. Understandable on running 87 octane burning faster. But what if I bought hotter plugs.. then it would burn the higher octane fuel just as fast right? cause it crossed my mind and made sense but also figure it might damage my motor...