Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Yay or ney on a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
DarkDigital
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Yay or ney on a turbo?

Any type of "power adder" can blow up your car if it isnt done correctly.
In theory nitrous turbo and sc are all equally dangerous in the hands of the wrong person.

If you have the money I think turbo is always going to be your best bet as far as making power.
You can get the right combo of bottom end power /w right turbo spool and have damn near no turbo lag and still have amazing power.
Plus turbo offers the ability to run at very low boost for cruising and with the flip ofa tune switch and a turn of a boost controller **** you can run a race boost setting.
This does come at a hefty price tag though. A turbo kit can easily run you into the $8-10k range.

Next comes the blowers. These IMO are harder to choose from then turbos and nitrous because of the different types.
First off we have roots which is the top mount. Instant power and lots of it!
Then we have the centris which are basicaly a turbo run by the engines belt. You can end up with a little lag with these but they are generaly equal or better in the power department then the roots.
Each of these blower types have their "supporting mod" pros and cons but they work more or less in the same fassion.
One thing the SC will have over the turbo is the price. At nearly half the cost $4-5k you can come very close to the power of a turbo.

As far as bang for your buck there is no substitute for nitrous.
At less then$700 for a kit it's by far the cheapest power adder you'll ever find.
People these days are jetting wet kits for 200hp with no problems at all.
Pros of the juice are instant insane power and *** loads of TQ which in our cars case is the key to speed.
Cons are damn near none. Sept the need to fill a bottle.

I myself run a supercharger with nitrous for what would come out to about half the cost of a turbo kit. While I'm around 150hp down from a mild turbo kit I still have trouble stomaching the dollar amount that would cost to install one. Though if I had the money I would not hesitate to install 2 hairdryers.

One thing I saw you say that no one commented on is that a turbo lets you run on no boost while you cruise normal speedsanda super charger doesnt. In fact that is not true. They work the same way actually. A super charger is always spinning as is a turbo. I can drive my cobra lightly and never see a pound of boost very easily. Same goes with a turbo.

Also no one responded to your statement that a supercharger has paracitic loss. This is indeed true but in the grand scheme of things a supercharger makes up that loss greatly with the increase of power.
A supercharger actually makes more hp then you see on the dyno.
(example: your engine makes 300hp. Thesc takes 40hp from the engine to run at full boost. That means you're down to 260hp. But the sc creates 240hp at full boost so you end up with 500hp; A dyno gain of 200hp. You'll never see the paracitic loss and its usually not that bad at all.)

All in all at the end of the day it comes down to preferance and for the most part how much money you have. Pick wisely and dont be afraid to use the search function.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I don't see too many turbo kits going for that high. That's the downside to buying a kit rather than building one. Every turbo/twin turbo kit i've built has been below $2k. The cheapest one so far was a twin kit I built that cost $900 total. Cost of the actual kit really isn't what kills the price, the fuel requirement parts generally are what kill your wallet. I've built some headers that cost quite a bit too due to using thickwall weld l's to keep it from cracking.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

I don't see too many turbo kits going for that high. That's the downside to buying a kit rather than building one. Every turbo/twin turbo kit i've built has been below $2k. The cheapest one so far was a twin kit I built that cost $900 total. Cost of the actual kit really isn't what kills the price, the fuel requirement parts generally are what kill your wallet. I've built some headers that cost quite a bit too due to using thickwall weld l's to keep it from cracking.
What turbo's were you using?? Junkyard build?

The kits are EXPENSIVE!!! but they have all the bends and everything already work'd out. In ur 900Dollar Twinturbo kit, I KNOW that didnt account for FUEL. Im building my fuel system now and its goanna cost me a Fortune(to me lol like 1k-2k ) Thats to Handle 500WHP-800whp
Old 07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryan86272
What turbo's were you using?? Junkyard build?

The kits are EXPENSIVE!!! but they have all the bends and everything already work'd out. In ur 900Dollar Twinturbo kit, I KNOW that didnt account for FUEL. Im building my fuel system now and its goanna cost me a Fortune(to me lol like 1k-2k ) Thats to Handle 500WHP-800whp
two junkyard turbos. I rebuilt them of course, I rebuild all the used turbos i get. $900 was for fuel aswell. The both turbos only set me back $200 including the rebuild kit. $50 intercooler, $80 in header parts, $60 in exhaust from the turbo back, $50 in intake plumbing, $60 in a couple other things like oil feed/drain, ect..
Where do you think the other $400 went?

For my cars I do things as cheap as i can without sacrificing reliability most of the time. For the people I build turbo/sc kits for I give them the option.
Like for fuel parts I'd run 2 cheap 255lph fuel pumps setup in parallel with some bigger id braided hose before I'd buy an expensive pump & fuel lines made for a mustang. Then the fuel injectors which generally aren't extremely bad as far as cost. Almost all of the setups I build there is no air meter to worry about. I recommend switching to speed density & they generally do it after they find it's the cheaper way to go & easier to tune. The supercharger kit I just built is under $500 & the only thing left to buy is fuel injectors. That's with a standalone, wideband o2, supercharger, 255lph, belt, coupler & bearings for the s/c, & the material cost that it took to build the bracket & plumbing.

It only cost money if you run brand new parts or name brand. Like comparing a new turbo to a refurbished one... or buying intake plumbing already made to fit instead of buying the U or J bends & straight pipe, then making it yourself. I personally would take a refurbished turbo over a new one from a reputable company because they inspect & check tolerences when they're rebuilding them.

It's all in how you do things... My neighbor is one of those people that has to have new parts that are in perfect shape & name brand. Interior, outside, & engine. I'm more of the person that will clean/dye his carpet instead of buying a new one or weld/sand/body/primer a body panel if it's rusted out rather than buying a new one if they're expensive. Coincidentally he makes more money that I do. My car is in better shape & faster than his

to this

Consider that took $280 total to fix (thats including getting put on a framing machine, paint, sandpaper, primer, ect.., & a corner light) but I did all the work myself.

Turbo kits are no different. Do the work yourself, that means assembling it then it can be done fairly cheap (well for a kit anyway)
I have no doubt in my mind you could probably pull a twin turbo kit off for under $600, but it may not be very reliable... then again it might be. My intercooler core on my notch for example is bigger than any i've ever seen on a street mustang & it cost me $52.