Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Yay or ney on a turbo?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Default Yay or ney on a turbo?

I have an '08 GT and I'm in the preliminary planning stage for some type of FI. Every time someone brings up turbo, there's inevitably someone mentioning how a turbo can blow your engine easier than a SC (or at least that's what I take away from what they're saying). That said, I like the idea of a turbo because there's no parasitic effect in order to drive a turbo, they sound great, the engine remains n/a until you really get on the throttle and the more expensive ones such as Hellion are still only as much as the Whipple HO kits. So that brings me to my question: are turbos with a good tune truly more likely to blow things apart and if so, what is the reasoning behind that?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Speedy911
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Yay or ney on a turbo?

Anything can blow your motor. For an 08, I would without a doubt shell out the cash and go with a Hellion kit. Keyword you mentioned, good tune. Anything with a "good conservative" tune will last. Its when you try to be a hero and run untuned or push your car beyond its limits do you start running into problems. Everybody has a friend who blew up their motor with [insert power adder here].

End of the story, boost is boost. Get your car tuned right, and don't be a hero - know your limits.
The parasitic loss is true with superchargers, a turbos set up will produce more power at the same psi levels.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

OK, good. That's all pretty much the way I saw things working but I just wanted confirmation to make sure I was headed in the right direction.

Also, you mentioned the Hellion. That is one of the kits I've been looking at but I also see a pretty good following on the HP or Powerhouse setups. Any thoughts on those?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 AM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

I'm really looking hard at the new kit Turbonetics just put out. I've heard nothing but good things about that company.

I've been around FI cars for a very long time. And in my opinion, turbo is the only way to go. More tuneability, more power potential down the road, and less stress on the crank (no SC pulley hanging off the front).
Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Turbosare more complicated to tune. I was looking for a turbo for my 06 gt. I was looking into a single from hp or powerhouse. I don't have the budget now for a high boost build with a forged bottom end and a new auto tranny for high power. Instead, I'm looking into adding a zex kit for a little extra kick only when I need it. Not as good as the always there power of a whipple, but I'm a little low on funds. HP or powerhouse should be good for your turbo choice.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

There's a guy in the 4.6 section that ordered the twin kit from HP Performance. I don't know if it's normal for them, but it took him months to get the kit, and he didn't get the whole kit at the same time, being that any part that gets JET coated has to be shipped to an outside facility. I've heard good things about Hellion, and plan on eventually putting they're kit on my car. Also, I imagine a company like Turbonetics that is a manufacturer would have a good kit, and readily available.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 AM
Speedy911
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend everyone stay away from HP. They take forever to get send out your stuff, 5+ months. Checkout turbomustangs.com they have a reputation of taking ridiculously long to get you your kit.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

yeah i read someones post about taking upwards of a year for his kit. like 10 months or something. way to long for me to wait after shelling out that kinda money
Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

ORIGINAL: brad281

Turbosare more complicated to tune. I was looking for a turbo for my 06 gt. I was looking into a single from hp or powerhouse. I don't have the budget now for a high boost build with a forged bottom end and a new auto tranny for high power. Instead, I'm looking into adding a zex kit for a little extra kick only when I need it. Not as good as the always there power of a whipple, but I'm a little low on funds. HP or powerhouse should be good for your turbo choice.
I don't know about you but, dyno tunes down here in tx are the same price for all f/i, they don't charge 350 for s/c and 500 for turbo tunes...

Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Get turbo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yay or ney on a turbo?