Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Best Exhaust For Turbo Fox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Turbo5point0
1st Gear Member

Default Best Exhaust For Turbo Fox?

I need some opinions on what type of exhaust I should put on a stock longblock turbo fox.

Whats the best Exhaust system for a Turbocharged mustang? How much hp will a two chambered muffler hold it back? Whats the best sounding muffler for a turbo car? Is bigger better when it comes to a turbo exhaust? I was thinking mabey a custom 3 1/2inch. Anyone make a good 3 1/2 inch catback with a straight through design. Anyone out there running open pipes on a turbo car...on the street luv to here a sound clip of it.

My car is a stock 1990 with a 60mm turbo goin on. Right now the car has 2 1/2 inch American Thunder Flowmasters on it and I want something that is going to produce a similair sound once the turbo is installed. Should I just leave the flowmasters on it and see what they produce?

Any opinionsor sound clips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Exhaust For Turbo Fox?

honesly 3 1/2 would probly be too big for a stock turbo setup 2 3/4 2 5/8 is probly sufficient or you can run 3 inch, but too big and the exhaust will actually cause a loss in low end torque i dont see 3 1/2" benefiting a stock turbo setup
Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

you should run a muffler that is straight through look in one end and you can see out the other. We have flowmasters on our turbo car with one 3in pipe into two 3in with a x and 2 chamber mufflers and dumps. It sounds strange driving it around. But it was my old set up from our S/C car and I put a plug in the pass side pipe it did have long tube headers. so I did not have to cut up the pipe . well while testing the 2 step it blew the plug out and I took it for a drive with theplug out and you can feel a very noticeable difference with the plug out. low end and up top. Also if you go over to Turbo Mustang and look around there is a guy over there that picked up a lot of HP taking the Flows off and they all say not to run chambered mufflers on turbo cars due to back press. Ours are coming off as soon as I get the time. here is our car with just a down pipe when we were just getting it runninghttp://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e206/uedlose/turbo/
Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Turbo5point0
1st Gear Member

Ya Ive read that several times that flowmasters suck for a turbo car b/c they create a little bit of back pressure. I might just put a 3 inch catback on it. Just dont know what kind to get. Need something that still sounds good heard that the turbo sounds pretty weak if you dont have a good setup.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:27 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

it's not like an n/a car, for the most power on a turbo car, the best exhaust is no exhaust. Since you're running a single turbo I'd advise just running a straight pipe the size of the outlet of the turbo. One of my friends is even running a 5" pipe & dumping in front of the front tire. If you're looking for a certain tone then I'd recommend getting the muffler you like.
What you read is right about the flowmasters, the baffle design on them hurt power.

turbo's tend to quiet the exhaust sound down quite a bit so if the pipe is a decent size you shouldn't need one. I have mine dumping under the passenger seat & it's not too loud.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:35 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I'm running SLP loudmouths

Dynomax and Magnaflow also make nice "straight-thur" turbo mufflers.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM
One Bad MOFO
2nd Gear Member

I've got some Borla Turbo mufflers that are going to be going on mine.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Turbo5point0
1st Gear Member

Heres a sound clip of a turbo 302 with flowmasters, sounds pretty sweet. I think I might just put the turbo on and see what it lays down on the dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aVGQFnKJRU
Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

If thats what you have already I wouldnt sweat, go ahead and use em.
maybe just plan on something else down the road, when youre itching to spend money on the stang for no good reason.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Turbo5point0
1st Gear Member

ya ill give up 30-40hp for a sweet sounden exhuast

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust For Turbo Fox?