Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

help choosing a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

haha i know turbo turbo, im more interested in the supercharger tho, kyle do u have an exact link to the procharger with the intercooler upgrade ur talking about? im trying to get a price set on so i know what to save up
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Fobra
Banned

modulars are much more difficult to turbo, but if DIY you can get it done for 3500 or less, using a GOOD turbo, but if you dont have a built motor or plan on one very soon your wasting your time to turbo a modular - it wont last long
Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

yeah im not planning on having a built motor this car unfortunately will probably never see the track, im just looking for a good 400-450 hp and 450+ tq which the supercharger should get me
Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with staying away from turbo, they're less reliable than superchargers. Another reason I don't recommend them unless you're aiming to get lots of power. I'm not saying they're bad, i haven't had hardly any problems with any kits or my own car but I explain to people what to do & not to do as far as durability & imo they're easy/cheap to rebuild (journal bearing) when they do go bad. But either way you look at it, they are less reliable.

Originally Posted by Fobra
modulars are much more difficult to turbo, but if DIY you can get it done for 3500 or less, using a GOOD turbo, but if you dont have a built motor or plan on one very soon your wasting your time to turbo a modular - it wont last long
Why do you have to have a built engine to go turbo? Quite a few people have turbo'd a stock modular engine without upgrading anything internally.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:35 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

get a whipple or a kenne bell, its much more street/strip friendly. Unless you race often thats the way to go.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by FoxGT
Nothing wrong with staying away from turbo, they're less reliable than superchargers. Another reason I don't recommend them unless you're aiming to get lots of power. I'm not saying they're bad, i haven't had hardly any problems with any kits or my own car but I explain to people what to do & not to do as far as durability & imo they're easy/cheap to rebuild (journal bearing) when they do go bad. But either way you look at it, they are less reliable.

Why do you have to have a built engine to go turbo? Quite a few people have turbo'd a stock modular engine without upgrading anything internally.

just practical experience. 5.0 guys have had alot better luck with them it seems. I think turbos are fine on modulars, but you need to keep the power lower and get some good tuning. Most if not all modulars that I know of w/o replacing the internals has blown up, now whether that be tuning/driving/too much power, etc. remains to be seen. I think turbos are ok on modulars, but you need to stay under 400 rwhp.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Fobra
Banned

Come to think of it, of the 20 or so stock modular turbos that I have seen, only one of them hasn't gone by the wayside
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
brian_jones110
1st Gear Member

Which one is the most fuel efficient, i know if your putting one in your probli not too worried about fuel efficiency but im just curious.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Capstun

I have an 05 and went with a ProCharger. It was installed six months ago. Me and my mechanic are very pleased with the additional 180 HP. It is a daily driver. Also added 4:10's and a Bassani exhaust. Now at 461 HP.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brian_jones110
Which one is the most fuel efficient, i know if your putting one in your probli not too worried about fuel efficiency but im just curious.
roots are the least impact on your fuel efficiency only if there's a bypass valve. The only reason it will work with a roots is because it's the only one that moves air instead of compressing it. centri, twin-screw, & turbo have a bigger impact on your fuel economy because they're either always compressing air at cruise rpm or blocking exhaust gasses slightly (turbo)

A horribly setup roots kit will have a bad effect on fuel economy though. Also, roots use a butterfly style bypass, not popit style like in turbo & centri supercharged cars.