Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

First upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Nemisus

Default First upgrade!

Well Ive had my 02 Mustang for just over a week now. My first upgrade is to get a better sound from the exhaust.

Anyway, all Im looking to do is replace the mufflers. Need to save money for the bigger upgrades. Ive done a little research here and found that a lot of members do not like flowmasters. Happens to be the muffler I'd like to go with. If anyone has a better idea on mufflers, or thinks just a Flowermaster swap would sound good, please respond!

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Nemisus
Old 05-29-2005, 12:30 AM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First upgrade!

Save up a few more bucks and get a midpipe. Replacing just the mufflers is a waste of money (in my opinion).
Old 05-29-2005, 03:16 AM
Nemisus

Ok your opinion is greatly appreciated. But why do you think it is a waste of money? Give a reason, just saying so doesn't help me much. Sorry if im sounding offensive, I don't mean too

Best Regards

Nemisus
Old 05-29-2005, 04:00 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

he's saying its a waste to just go for cat back for performance. the real gains are in the mid pipe. Example- h pipe or x pipe. off road or high flow cats. if you got to stay legal for emissions i would go with an high flow catted mid pipe. technology is so good that there is like a zero loss in hp compared to an off road mid pipe. i heard flowmasters on a 01-04 GT tonight with highflow H and it sounded so sick. it was deep and aggressive and friggin mean as hell. it was one of the best sounding mustangs i ever heard. i have original 40 series flows on my 92 project with stock h and even that sounds nice.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:29 AM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I assumed your weren't talking about a full cat back replacement, but just the mufflers. A full cat back would be the 2nd exhaust upgrade I would do - mid pipe first. If you are going to continue to mod your Mustang for better performance (gears, throttle body/plenum, etc.) at some point you are going to want/have to upgrade your exhaust. Many people start with it. Why not save up some money and do the cat back or midpipe, as opposed to just mufflers (unless you are talking about a cat back system, then just ignore me)?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:35 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

going to a larger dia. exhaust would be the first..if he buys just the muffler than it's a waste because he'll have the same dia piping...the exhaust needs to be one of the first, then a set of 3.90 gears
Old 05-29-2005, 01:29 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Nemisus

Well Ive had my 02 Mustang for just over a week now. My first upgrade is to get a better sound from the exhaust.

Anyway, all Im looking to do is replace the mufflers. Need to save money for the bigger upgrades. Ive done a little research here and found that a lot of members do not like flowmasters. Happens to be the muffler I'd like to go with. If anyone has a better idea on mufflers, or thinks just a Flowermaster swap would sound good, please respond!

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Nemisus

FLowmasters have great sound, but beware of using them with an Off road pipe (H or X), you'll hear a horrible "coins in a glass" kind of rattling sound, I tell you by my own experience. I had to switch to high flow Spintech mufflers and the sound is awsome and agressive. Save also some money for Throttle body/plenum swap (accufab-75 mm), Cols air intake, 3.5 mm pipe tips, and some nitrous...........good luck
Old 05-29-2005, 02:45 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Nemisus

Ok your opinion is greatly appreciated. But why do you think it is a waste of money? Give a reason, just saying so doesn't help me much. Sorry if im sounding offensive, I don't mean too

Best Regards

Nemisus
because the stock cats are restrictive so replacing them with better cats will give you a better sound and more power than just replacing the mufflers
Old 05-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Nemisus

Wow thanks for all the responses. This is greatly appreciated.

To be a bit more clear on what I plan on doing in the future. Currently I just want a better sound. Not really looking for a lot of performace gains. Although in time im sure I will. Overall future plans for the exhaust is to have the Roush side exit exhaust. This is why im not looking to spend a lot of money first thing. Granted it will be some time till I can afford that set up.

I thank each and everyone who gave a response and their opinion. I now have a lot to work with and a good idea on what to do and not to do.

Thanks

Best Regrards

Nemisus