Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

I want to make my car street legal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
murfeezlaw

Default I want to make my car street legal

Hi all, I'm a newbie here and I have a ? about my 95 Mustang GT. I put the off road H Pipe on. I have to get my car inspected & i'm sure it won't pass inspection w/o the cats. Will I feel a big decline in power if I put pipes with Cats back on? Also what options do I have to make it legal? (better pipes that will make it legal but won't reduce too much power?) 2 mechanics have me a little nervous about getting caught. they said the increase in power isn't worth the risk. the only problem is I don't have my old pipes with the cats so i'd have to but new ones unless i put someone else's on to pass inspection and put the H Pipe back on.

any help would be very much appreciated. i CANNOT wait to take her out...it's a convertible and the weather is getting nice.
Thanks!
Ted
Old 06-07-2005, 07:41 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I want to make my car street legal

easy take it to get inspected. if it passes it passes and you just saved yourself all this worry if it doesnt then your out $15. all you need to do is have a muffla' shop weld in some cats. the gas mileage is the biggest difference that you will feel. make sure that they put flanges on the cats so they can be removed/replaced using only a 12mm wrench
Old 06-07-2005, 07:47 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Or if you could find a stock h-pipe with the cats on it for cheap then keep it for all the times that you are going to be inspected and the just change it back out when you are done with the inspection. It's nice down here in FL where they do not have inspections. No worrying about it.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I am getting l/t headers and have to change my current x-pipe. I have a Magnaflow Tru-X that welded in behind the cats. It's coming out, so if you need the pipe, the cats, or both let me know. I am putting in an VRS catted midpipe to go with the headers. If you just need the cats, I won't be asking a whole hell of alot for them. The X pipe is only a month old and that is what I would look to get something for, not the cats.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:08 PM
murfeezlaw

Thanks Bickety i appreciate it...i'm gonna try to get it inspected this week to see what happens. i'm sure it will fail but i guess its worth a shot. i'll let you know if i need anything. Where are you?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
04GTMustangRob
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I put a magnaflow catted x on my gt and have the stock h sitting at the house right now. I will never use it again, it's yours for the price of shipping if you need it.

Rob
Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: murfeezlaw

Thanks Bickety i appreciate it...i'm gonna try to get it inspected this week to see what happens. i'm sure it will fail but i guess its worth a shot. i'll let you know if i need anything. Where are you?
I am in NY, but can ship anywhere through my business.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:22 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04GTMustangRob

Hey, I put a magnaflow catted x on my gt and have the stock h sitting at the house right now. I will never use it again, it's yours for the price of shipping if you need it.

Rob
How much did you pay for the Magnaflow catted X? Everywhere I lokked it was a ridiculous amount of money. I ended up paying more for just the weld in X than most people pay for an X with cats.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
murfeezlaw

that would be great...i'll let you know asap
Old 06-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Blown00GT

what state do you live in? if you see cars runnin around with illegal exhaust, they guy must have a hook up when it comes to inspection time. inspection here in va is 15 dollars. i pay 25 and the place i go to doesnt even care about how low it is or whats underneath the car. money talks..... theres ways around the system.

Quick Reply: I want to make my car street legal