Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

few exhaust questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default few exhaust questions..

OK, so I've got the money now to buy my FULL exhaust, and I got a few questions

1) everyone has their own brand they like, and I'm trying to figure out which one is the best for me. Due to the ease of install, I'm leaning towards Bassani "medium" headers + xpipe. However, since the xpipe is made to fit "medium" headers, I was wondering.. will OTHER xpipes work w/ those medium headers? Also, will JBA's work with bassani xpipe? Or vice versa; JBA h's with bassani headers? Finally, will Bassani (or JBA's) midpipes work with ANY catback?

2) Is there much of a performance difference amongst exhaust makers? SLP's pipes are larger in diameter than Bassani (and cheaper!), so would that mean they're "better"?

3) Will those "medium" headers produce the same numbers as long tubes, or will they be restricted in any way due to size?

Finally, and this one isn't about exhausts, but I was just curious.. what type of #'s would I expect (rwhp) out of new cams? do different "stages" produce a difference in HP, or just sound/idle?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:59 AM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: few exhaust questions..

bump??

anyone? []

Old 06-11-2005, 04:13 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

1) everyone has their own brand they like, and I'm trying to figure out which one is the best for me. Due to the ease of install, I'm leaning towards Bassani "medium" headers + xpipe. However, since the xpipe is made to fit "medium" headers, I was wondering.. will OTHER xpipes work w/ those medium headers? Also, will JBA's work with bassani xpipe? Or vice versa; JBA h's with bassani headers? Finally, will Bassani (or JBA's) midpipes work with ANY catback?
I like my BBK L/T's and shorty H-pipe. The guy that welded my mufflers in said it was the best fitting exhaust system he has even seen. He has specialized in mustangs for the past 20 years. I'd say that with Bassani's mid-length headers you would be best off getting their matching medium length mid-pipe to aviod any annoying fitment issues. JBA standard length headers should work just fine with a corrisponding standard length Bassani mid-pipe. Any properly setup mid-pipe/header combination will work with any catback kit due to their universal measurments.

2) Is there much of a performance difference amongst exhaust makers? SLP's pipes are larger in diameter than Bassani (and cheaper!), so would that mean they're "better"?
Not necessarily. Both are very respectable companies and make high quality products. It all depends on your application and what you want from your vehicle. Some pipes will raise or lower the powerband depending on how they are bent and sized. Also you should be able to get both 2.5" and 3.0" pipe sizes from both companies.

3) Will those "medium" headers produce the same numbers as long tubes, or will they be restricted in any way due to size?
They should produce similar numbers but I doubt they will be as good as L/T's. Its very likely to be a very minor difference however. The fitment with the medium lengths should be a lot better for your 4.6 application than the L/T's.

Im not educated enough with 4.6 cams to give you a descent answer on hp #'s with them.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:37 AM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

sweet, awesome, thanks for the info