Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Twin Turbo or Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Twin Turbo or Supercharger

Scjar. Don't worry about them. If you want some help on it. I would be more than happy. I guess according to these people, curious people are stupid.
Do you have any messengers? (aim, msn, icq, yahoo)
Old 07-04-2005, 03:20 AM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

i'm all for helping...i just hate seeing people whine.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 PM
cp51
1st Gear Member

one more question on this...

You don't need forged internals with either setup. You could run 12psi safely with both. Both are reliable if you keep your oil changed & do the proper startup/shutdown. You'll get quite a bit more power out of the twin turbo at the same reliability & psi.
^ by someone on the prev page.

now what is the difference between 8 psi from a turbo and 8 psi from an SC? both are 8 psi going into the intake...

also, just to throw some more price into the thread... i just put a vortec on my car, i went from 255HP to 370HP, at around 9 psi...

now with the SC kit, i also needed to get larger fuel injectors (30 pounds) a larger mass airflow sensor, and a larger fuel pump because the little fuel pump booster thing i got with the kit wasnt able to pump enough because the pump in the tank couldnt pump enough... so all of that wound up costing an extra 1500 (tune included, dont know howmuch it was with just the parts.)

and about how much work it takes to put it on, i put the SC on with my dad over the weekend, took about 12 hours. It probably would have gone quicker, but i bought the ithing used from a 97 car (only had 4000 miles on the SC), and it has a little different model and is placed in a different spot (i have a 98 car), so i didnt have the right size hoses for some things and had to search a little for the right stuff, but we got it working...

just some more info to throw in there
Old 07-04-2005, 02:01 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cp51

one more question on this...

You don't need forged internals with either setup. You could run 12psi safely with both. Both are reliable if you keep your oil changed & do the proper startup/shutdown. You'll get quite a bit more power out of the twin turbo at the same reliability & psi.
^ by someone on the prev page.

now what is the difference between 8 psi from a turbo and 8 psi from an SC? both are 8 psi going into the intake...

also, just to throw some more price into the thread... i just put a vortec on my car, i went from 255HP to 370HP, at around 9 psi...

now with the SC kit, i also needed to get larger fuel injectors (30 pounds) a larger mass airflow sensor, and a larger fuel pump because the little fuel pump booster thing i got with the kit wasnt able to pump enough because the pump in the tank couldnt pump enough... so all of that wound up costing an extra 1500 (tune included, dont know howmuch it was with just the parts.)

and about how much work it takes to put it on, i put the SC on with my dad over the weekend, took about 12 hours. It probably would have gone quicker, but i bought the ithing used from a 97 car (only had 4000 miles on the SC), and it has a little different model and is placed in a different spot (i have a 98 car), so i didnt have the right size hoses for some things and had to search a little for the right stuff, but we got it working...

just some more info to throw in there
My twin turbo system ran me $900. After everything was fabricated to fit it ended up taking about 10 hours to install, But I already had had the bolts loosened once to get measurments. & that's a 12psi system reaching full boost at 2700rpm on stock internals for 5 months before I sold it. From what I hear the guy has been running it for over a year with no problems. My only problem was blowing a rubber seal off which was easily fixed with a screw driver.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:08 PM
jonboy5.0
2nd Gear Member

I hope I didn't give anybody the impression that I was whining. I was just speakin my mind. Im new to the sport, and have a list of questions a mile long. Everything is worth asking in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:50 PM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

it's all good man, ask away.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Macman

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

If you are going to forge the bottom end of your motor, go TT's. If you plan on leaving your bottom end stock, go with a blower. ...It's just that simple.
If you didn't forge and went sc, would you be getting the same power as the forged tt combo? Not quite the same leauge. I believe either sc or tt can make the same power depending on how much time and money you have. It just depands on your application.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:15 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

What you aren't understanding is for the supercharger it takes power to make power. If you go dyno what the car is putting down to the wheels & the # comes out to 400hp think of how much the supercharger is taking to run. You could be at 450hp & thats without thinking of the drivetrain & accessory loss, but because of the power taken away to run the systems you don't know the actual power the engine is seeing, you know what it is after all of your accessories, supercharger, & drivetrain have taken some of the power away. With the turbo what loss you have because of it will show up at wheels.

Basically what I'm saying is if you have both a supercharger & turbocharged engine of the same specs lets say they are both putting out 500hp not including belt & drivetrain losses. After you factor in the drivetrain loss & accessories (not including the supercharger) lets say they are both down at 450hp. Now factor in the power losses to drive the systems. The turbocharger takes very little power to produce boost, while the supercharger takes quite a bit. So the turbo engine would be at 430hp & the supercharged engine would be at 400hp. So as you can see in both engines, THE ENGINES are seeing 500hp, but the dyno shows 430hp (turbo) & 400hp (super)
The bottom line to that argument is that the, say, 25 hp loss IS NOT SIGNIFICANT ENOUGH to justify doing the TT setup over the blower set up, unless you are going to forge the bottom end. Anyone who spent a lot more $ in installation and tuning with a tt setup to gain 25 hp (keeping the internals stock) is an idiot. It's not practical; it's not logical. Nanaki is dead on. NO ONE can argue this point, because there isn't a practical or logical argument here. I have been beating a dead horse on this subject for months on this forum. Some people don't get it.
Birdieman4 = you got to stop wasting time over here and get back on the 05 side.. I need you to find the solution to my fuel issues with the prochager .. I think the best answer in a boost a pump.. but I cant get anyone to tell me the part number or where to get it.. even ATI tell me to talk to the dealer.. and hes been trying to call them.. help
Old 07-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Birdieman4 = you got to stop wasting time over here and get back on the 05 side.. I need you to find the solution to my fuel issues with the prochager .. I think the best answer in a boost a pump.. but I cant get anyone to tell me the part number or where to get it.. even ATI tell me to talk to the dealer.. and hes been trying to call them.. help
I didn't realize you were having a problem. Because it's off topic here, PM me with your info or post a link to your post.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cp51
Power output.
ORIGINAL: Macman
If you didn't forge and went sc, would you be getting the same power as the forged tt combo? Not quite the same leauge. I believe either sc or tt can make the same power depending on how much time and money you have. It just depands on your application.
Both can run the same psi before breaking the car, but the turbo will produce quite a bit more power at the same psi as the supercharger. Say you have two of the same engine, one turbo, one supercharged. Both are set at 12psi... The turbocharged one would outpower the supercharged one by a good bit. You may hear people say, "but you can just get a pulley for the supercharge & bump it up to 14psi"... so what, you can turn the dial on your boost controller & push the turbo to 14psi aswell & you didn't even have to pay for another pulley. A supercharger is not going to be able to run more psi than a turbo before the engine gives, if an engine will handle no more than 16psi, it will handle 16psi. It doesn't matter how you get the 16psi in it, supercharger or turbo.