Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbosha
with 8-10 psi a 44mm might be overkill.id go with a 38mm its smaller and cheaper.when you get to putting in pipes you will quickly run out of room.
Well, a t70 is a bigger turbo, and if he's only gonna be pushing 10 psi with it, you need a bigger gate to get rid of the excess exhaust gases. If he was going to be pushing 15 psi or so a smaller gate would be ok. I think a 38mm gate is a little to small to regulate the amount of boost that turbo will be pushing.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM
orange5.0fox
1st Gear Member

Well guys what's it going to be a 44 or 38mm gate and also what rwh should I be making
Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

What is your horsepower goal? That's the most important question. IIRC a T70 turbo is good for over 650whp. Is your motor built? (pistons, rods, etc?) If not (which I'm assuming it's not as you said you only want to run 10 psi), your not going to be able to run any where near that much horsepower and getting such a big turbo would be pretty much pointless as you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of what it could do. You'd suffer from a decent bit of turbo lag without any payoff at the end since you can't boost that much. The best thing you could do is buy the smallest turbo that will work for your goals, and maybe give yourself a little room to grow if you want.

I suggest doing a lot of studying on this stuff. FI can be a real pain in the ***, trust me. Anyhow, if you end up going with the t70 I'd really suggest a 44mm WG as your going to have a lot of exhaust to bypass. But what do I know, I drive a Honda!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
orange5.0fox
1st Gear Member

I would like to see 480 at the wheels, only thing is a stock bottom end that I hope holds up for a while till have the money to get a new block.. And yes I'm sure I've got alot to learn still but from what I've read a 5.0 shouldn't have much of a problem spooling up this turbo. In the magazine mm&ff they put the same turbo on a 5.0 along with a 38mm gate and a 50mm blow off valve and didn't mention anything about it having problems spooling. Does anyone else have an opinon on what I should do
Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by orange5.0fox
I would like to see 480 at the wheels, only thing is a stock bottom end that I hope holds up for a while till have the money to get a new block.. And yes I'm sure I've got alot to learn still but from what I've read a 5.0 shouldn't have much of a problem spooling up this turbo. In the magazine mm&ff they put the same turbo on a 5.0 along with a 38mm gate and a 50mm blow off valve and didn't mention anything about it having problems spooling. Does anyone else have an opinon on what I should do
It won't have "problems" spooling it, but the name of the game is to get the best powerband for your car while being able to make the power you want. If you could hit 480 at the wheels with a smaller turbo, that would generally be your best bet as you will spool the turbo SOONER. Is this going to be a drag only car? If so, then it really doesn't matter I suppose. If your DD the car, you may want to have more useable power down low. I'm not a turbo guru, but you could get a 60-1 (similar to mine) with stage 5 wheel, and it's good for over 500whp, and is smaller than the t70 and will give you better spool characteristics for the power that your looking for.

What power was MM&FF getting out of it? Depending on what power and how much boost they were pushing it could work better for them than it would for you. You can't really complain about spool with a big turbo when your pushing 650+ whp, and at that point I'm sure they aren't having a lot of exhaust bypassing the turbo so a smaller gate would be ok. I'm not saying that the set up that you have in mind won't work, because it will, just MAY not be optimal. The worst thing that can happen with a smaller WG is that you get some boost spike, if you tune for it, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Others chime in. If I'm wrong I'd like to know so I don't sound like a dumbass!!

Also, rule of thumb: Big turbo pushing little boost= Big wastegate.

Big turbo pushing big boost= Smaller wastegate

Small turbo pushing lots of boost = Small wastegate

Last edited by Red Turbo Integra; 05-10-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 AM
orange5.0fox
1st Gear Member

I think they were making 430 at the wheels. And I already have the turbo and don't really want to mess around with getting a new one. Got real good deal on this one. So I guess I'm going to need a 44 mm gate right. And this car is going to be a weekend car only
Old 05-24-2009, 06:04 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I'd go with the 70 with what you have done so far.

Something is wrong if you're getting boost spike from that. A small wastegate will cause creep. If you're getting spikes you may want to check your wastegate signal line, it may be too long or too small of diameter.

Ideally you want the bov as close to the throttle plate as possible for faster response. It will be louder if it's before the intercooler.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:05 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

edit: double post (i seem to be good at that)

Last edited by FoxGT; 05-25-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

44mm waste gate. you can never have to much WG, especially when trying to run low boost. FWIW, i run twin 38mm on my car
Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 AM
orange5.0fox
1st Gear Member

What do you mean by Wastegate signal line. Is that the line that runs from the top off my wastegate to the intake pipe right before the throttle body? Thanks and sorry it took so long to reply