Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

crazy build need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default crazy build need some advice

heres what its going to be 95 mustang gt 351 w block 30 over bore stock stroke, forged rods pistons w/coating etc etc. .600 lift cam sold roller afr 225 heads 88 mm turbo air/water cooling hoping for around 800-900 rwhp through an auto trans, heres where i need help, this is going to be a "street car" i want/need it streetable to run the classes and events i want to run so it needs to be able to cruise i was thinking a C4 trans but were talking 1,000 horsepower at the flywheel and thats borderline for even a race ready C4 the other option was a 2 speed glide. the project is just getting started but im doing the rear end and trans first so i need to figure this part out before i start anything
Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I must say- at least you are concerning yourself with parts that needed to be strong enough to handle the power. A strengthened 9" is a must in my opinion, and a fully rollerized and race prepped C4 can be built to handle 800hp, but I'm more concerned with the amount of input shaft torque. And, after that I worry about the casing holding together. A powerglide can be built to handle that kind of power- probably cheaper, but it's not going to be streetable at all.

It seems to me that you are running in a street drag class? one that limits the tire to a DOT slick? If so, you need to think about how you're going to get 700+ lb-ft to the ground.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

you want to make sure your cam is custom ground. be sure to tell them its a turbo street car so that they can make the cam perfect for you. thats going to be the big deciding factor for how streetable the motor will be. if you plan to do long trips you may want to look into an aod. they can be made to handle 1500hp. lentech makes one and i think there are others. with that type power your going to need a one piece input shaft which means non locking converter and higher crusing rpms so that OD would be nice to have. i run a aod in my car build for 750hp and so far its holding just fine.

a glide would be best in a race car but you will loose streetability with it
Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

thanks for the input guys, the motor is already built and ready, unless it gets sold before i buy in which case the motor will be replicated, in summit there is a fully built C4 trans rated at 1,000 horse power with a life time warranty not sure what the warranty pertains to but the guy who is helping me with the build recommended that trans for street ability or a 2 speed glide for the track with some street potential.

as far as the class goes, slicks are allowed but its a 10.5" like the 10.5 outlaws, 1 power adder is allowed the rules are pretty vague right now the guy building the turbo setup knows more about them then i do so im gonna take his word on it until i get around to buying the rule book
Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

If you're building a drag car- which it seems you are- why not use a supercharger instead of the turbocharger? I mean, getting off the line is crucial.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

ive had 2 supercharged cars and this is something ive wanted to do for a while, something a little different, the turbo is very competitive with the superchargers in this class especially the way turbo technology has advanced in the last several years. even if its not the fastest car out there it will be one of the more rare, 95 convertible gt with an 88 mm turbo running in 9's hopefully if not very low 10's
Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Fobra
Banned

turbos are better imo, just get a glide with a transbrake if you want to go ***** out. A c6 would be a better choice then a c4.... the coating was an expenditure you could have saved yourself from, but too late now
Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

the coating came with the pistons, its a custom made piston, the c6 has 200 less horse power rating for a competition built trans thus the reason for going a c4, either way i go we will be using a trans brake, the deciding factor is going to come down to how street able i am going to make this car, it wont be street drive often but when it is id like it to be able to make a 40-45 minute one way trip, cool down period then make its way home.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
If you're building a drag car- which it seems you are- why not use a supercharger instead of the turbocharger? I mean, getting off the line is crucial.
because the turbo will make more hp per pound of boost then a sc will. and if you want to get off the line in a hurry nothing beats a turbo motor spooling on a trans brake. i know with my setup, right now peak boost is set to 8psi and on the t-brake i can get 4-5psi. i have changed my tune a bit to see if i get more boost while on the brake but havent been back to the track to test it
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I still prefer the SC, but we can debate about this for a long time. The SC doesn't have ANY spool time.

And, I wouldn't build a C6- it's not any stronger than a C4.

Quick Reply: crazy build need some advice