Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

nitrous help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Paulejr13
Banned

Default nitrous help ASAP

I HAVE A 2007 4.O AND IM RUNNING A 75 SHOT OF NITROUS

i have a question, i have run it a couple of times on stock tune, nd it seems fine. i pulledd my plugs after the runs (ngk tr6) and they are still the same gap, but there is some black on the metal tip, and a small spot of brown on the white

am i running okay???

if not what do i need to do. i have my own tuning program.

what needs to be adjusted if i make a nitrous tune for my self

please b3e specific
Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

your fine.. keep watching though
Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Adam90LX

Originally Posted by Paulejr13
I HAVE A 2007 4.O AND IM RUNNING A 75 SHOT OF NITROUS

i have a question, i have run it a couple of times on stock tune, nd it seems fine. i pulledd my plugs after the runs (ngk tr6) and they are still the same gap, but there is some black on the metal tip, and a small spot of brown on the white

am i running okay???

if not what do i need to do. i have my own tuning program.

what needs to be adjusted if i make a nitrous tune for my self

please b3e specific

The nitrous kit manufacturers tune that comes with their kits are crazy safe. You are probably running on the rich side if you are using their tune and this is most likely the color you are seeing on your plugs. I am not a big advocate of reading spark plugs as they tend to provide only a snap shot picture of what the engine conditions were when you crossed the finish line right before you shut the engine off. This is not necessarily indicative of what the engine conditions were at the starting line or middle of the track where most engine damage occurs. If you have your own tuning capability, then it is far better to have a good wide band o2 sensor with data logging capability. You can then tune your engine for the entire 1320 feet rather than just the end of the run as spark plugs dictate. I have seen some experience racers shut their engine down every 330 feet so they can read the engine condition on the plugs four separate times for better tuning of the whole 1320 feet. If you do not have a good wide band with data logging, and plan on reading plugs than this is a superior tuning technique. Another way is to pay for dyno tuning at a facility that has this equipment.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Paulejr13
Banned

what tune? my nitrous kit did not come with a tune. do u mean the zex managment unit??

i have a completely stock tune on my car right now. should i just retard my timing? should i buy a nitrous tune for b.a.m.a and brenspeed??

i have snipertuning software form my brothers mustang..

what do u recomend?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Paulejr13
Banned

oh and btw what should my af/fuel ratio be??
Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Adam90LX

what tune? my nitrous kit did not come with a tune. do u mean the zex managment unit??

i have a completely stock tune on my car right now. should i just retard my timing? should i buy a nitrous tune for b.a.m.a and brenspeed??

i have snipertuning software form my brothers mustang..

what do u recomend?
All nitrous kits come with a tune, maybe just not in the context you are thinking about. In a wet nitrous kit, when the manufacturer provides you with the nitrous and fuel jets, that is part of their tune since it will most definitely affect your n/f and ultimately your a/f ratio. In a dry nitrous kit, when the manufacturer provides you with a calibrated fuel management unit that adjusts your fuel rail pressure, that is part of the tune because along with the nitrous jet size provided, they will affect your n/f ratio and ultimately your a/f ratio. When they recommend a colder spark plug, higher octane fuel, bottle pressure, fuel pressure, or timing retard for a particular kit, that is all part of the manufacturers nitrous tune. In reality, every component within the nitrous and fuel delivery systems provided in a manufacturers nitrous kit is part of their tune as each component can and will affect the n/f ratio and ultimately your a/f ratio, but we will not get into all that super advanced stuff. It pertains more to people who design custom nitrous kits. So in short, Zex did provide you with a nitrous tune.

Sniper tuning software. Good stuff! Are you using Special Force, Commando, or Delta Force? No matter which one you are using you should have gotten Recon free, that is their data logging software. Do you have an aftermarket wide band O2 meter. If so, which one (AEM, Innovative, Fast, Uego). The reason I ask is that the the sniper software monitors the factory O2 sensors which are narrow band O2 sensors and not wide band O2 sensors. DO NOT attempt to make tuning adjustments using narrow band O2 sensors. They are not accurate enough in the performance operating range. Only a good wide band O2 sensor is accurate enough in the performance range and therefor can be used for tuning purposes. The air to fuel ratio band that you need to operate within with your nitrous kit is outside the accuracy window of factory narrow band O2 sensors.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Paulejr13
Banned

so what do u recommend i do. idnt wanna really have to go threw all that as im a beginner tuner. should i be ok on the stock tune. or what tune should i buy
Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 AM
WhiteNoise

if u wanna know what to do u have to buy instrumentation so u know what is happening while u are on the go. a nice place to start is a wideband, fuel pressure gauge and a tuner of sorts that data logs. once u know what its doing then u can adjust from there. plus u should know what to look for (too much to list) . my advice, is if u dont know anyone with experience in what u need that or u dont want to pay someone to do it, is to research on the internet or even better buy a book and read about it untill ur eyeballs pop out. then u can piece together what u need.
and even then, as a beginner you may have failure. but u may not and u might get it right. for a easy answer ur fine with a 75 shot and no tune. as long as u follow the directions. dont tune anything using whatever tuner u got untill u figure out all the perameters needed to make a nitrous tune.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Paulejr13
Banned

should i buy a nitrous tune from b.a.m.a and brenspeedd or is it not worth it

also what should i be keeping an eye on to make sure e erything is running smooth
Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Adam90LX

should i buy a nitrous tune from b.a.m.a and brenspeedd or is it not worth it

also what should i be keeping an eye on to make sure e erything is running smooth
As White Noise and I have said, with your 75 hp kit you should not need a custom nitrous tune if you install and operate it according to the manufacturers instructions. The only exception to this would be if you have a defective component in your system. This happens far more frequently than most people realize. If you installed the kit per the instructions and you still suspect it is not functioning properly, that may be the root cause of the problem. If that is the case, take the car to someone with the proper instruments and experience to diagnose your problem. Buying a pre-packaged nitrous tune would only make the problem worse in this case.

Quick Reply: nitrous help ASAP