Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Would it be wise...

Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Default Would it be wise...

Just brainstorming here, but I was wondering if it would be wise to add a supercharger to a 4.6 that has 97,000 plus miles on it or stick to moderate bolt on mods such as the normal CAI, headers, and so forth. The car already has a cobra transmission and exhaust, as well as a racing clutch. I'm not sure what else has been done to it, but it does drive extremely well. My plans for it are to restore it back better than its original beauty with a new paint scheme, interior color, short throw shifter, etc, as well as some more performance oriented goodies. I really have my eye on the Typhoon polished intake kit off ebay that is complete with intake manifold, 75mm throttle body, and plenum for about $700. Also on the list would be some underdrive pulleys and maybe an intercooler. I think these mods would get me in the HP range I am looking for without breaking the budget too much and still being pretty reliable for a regular street car. I welcome any thoughts, opinions, or constructive criticisms.

BTW, the car is a 2001 GT that I am hoping to get in November from my buddy in a trade. If all goes well with him, I'll have my project car and be minus a car note!

Todd

Last edited by todrick; 09-14-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

How much power do you want, and how much do you want to spend?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

I am looking at no more than 400 rwhp tops because anything else would be a waste since I won't be doing a lot of track racing. I just want something that looks and sounds good, and does has the ability to go. As far as money and the time goes, this is my project car so I do have my Avalanche to drive if I have the car torn apart for periods of time, and most of the fun is doing the things to the car yourself. To me that is 75% of the experience and then getting to have fun with the results. I am gonna shoot for a budget of 7000-10000 grand over a period of time. I know complete sc kits are several thousand dollars, so that might be reason enough to go the moderate route. I have plenty of work to do to the car to sink that much money on one specific area. I did see on ebay for the Roush head unit only for $800, but I know there would be plenty more parts needing to be added in. Like I said earlier, just brainstorming to pass the time until I actually get the car.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:48 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Based on what you've said, i would probably go with a supercharger. If the engine is in good working order it should be fine with 8-9 lbs. of boost. This would be the most fun and efficient way to the 400 hp level. You could do nitrous as well for like a third of the price, but since you have the money, time, and patience, the supercharger would be best.

Bolt ons can be fun, but most of them don't do much in the way of power. You could spend a couple of grand, and get no more than 20-30 horsepower.

If you like the bolt ons idea, you can't go wrong with exhaust, gears, and tune. Most won't regret those mods.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Good point. I really like the idea of supercharging, but just wanted some input since it is a higher mileage vehicle. I'm sure I'll be happy any way I go. Thanks!

Todd