Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Twin Turbo 4.6 Questions maf etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Turbo 4.6 Questions maf etc

Back ground on setup

Okay, I am in the middle of building my turbo engine for my 96 GT. Engine is a 4.6 Teksid with 32v B heads with 04 mach 1 cams. Forged cranks, manley rods, mahle pistons, clevite bearings. Engine has been bored .020 over stock. Heads have been ported and polished, 3 angle valve job. flow at .500 is 330.

Turbos
I have a schwitzer S200G and I am looking to buy a second one. stainless steel turbo headers. Turbo is internally gated.

I am wanting to run twin maf's on the car. Is this possible? Reason being, is that I do not want to vent the blow off valve to the atmosphere because I want better gas mileage, better drivability, and I do not like sooting rear bumpers. Its called a closed loop system I am wanting to run, It routes the air from the bov back to the entrance of the turbo but I don't want it to go through the maf twice, thus I need the maf at the entrance of the turbo rather than after the turbo.

any input would be great.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

if you have a decent tune you wont have those issues with a blow thru system. seems like your going to make things more complicated than they need to be
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 AM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
if you have a decent tune you wont have those issues with a blow thru system. seems like your going to make things more complicated than they need to be
I have a good tuner I go to over at Modular Depot in Florence KY, and making things more complicated that's what I do best lol

Do you think i could get away with running the bov to about an inch or so from the maf with out any problems?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J_Rod
I have a good tuner I go to over at Modular Depot in Florence KY, and making things more complicated that's what I do best lol

Do you think i could get away with running the bov to about an inch or so from the maf with out any problems?
they should have you tuned pretty well. only time you would see soot buildup on the bumper is if you were running crazy rich. i think you need at least 3 inches before the maf where you put a blowoff valve
Old 10-19-2009, 02:38 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

blow through or draw through will both be fine if tuned right. I usually recommend 5" of straight non altered pipe before & after the maf if possible, including the bypass valve.

I would stay away from the dual maf setup. It can be done. A guy named clint pohler did it quite some time ago with a 2jzgte. Not sure if you can find any info on it anymore though. Two maf's Y'd into one pipe. Not the easiest to work with, but it can be done.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

I am having a hard time finding another schwitzer s200g turbo. Has anyone done staged turbos on mustangs? Like have them in a series. Possibly have the exhaust flow into a 70mm turbo then from the there to the smaller S200g? The intake on the turbos would be set up as the big one draws fresh air in and forces are into the inlet of the small turbo then through the intercooler and into the intake.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

It's been done on other cars running all exhaust into the small turbo, then from the small into the large turbo. The smaller turbo is primarily used to build enough exhaust gas to spool a turbo that would normally be too big to be practical on a street driven car. You mostly see that type of setup on inline engines. It's not very practical to do it on a V engine due to weight, complexity, & cost. You don't have much room to work with on a v6 or v8 car compared to an inline 6 or inline 4 car (excluding most fwd cars)
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

i saw that set up on a cummins pickup and was curious if anyone had done it on a mustang, but after looking at my engine bay again today, I doubt there would be any room to do that.

I have my schwitzer S200g turbo, do i need to having matching turbos for a twin set up or would I be able to get a different turbo for the other side of the engine?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:23 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Compound setups on diesels are used to get higher pressure ratios that one turbo couldn't achieve or so that one turbo doesn't have to work as hard. Because diesels work by injecting fuel to cause detonation, they can run very high pressure ratios without risk of damage (some run up to 250psi)

You need matching turbos to keep pressure in the header close to equal. If not one bank will run more lean than the other resulting in damage or poor power.

Last edited by FoxGT; 10-21-2009 at 01:26 AM.