Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

I NEED HELP WITH EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 PM
LORENSANDERS

Default I NEED HELP WITH EXHAUST

I HAVE A 2002 MUSTANG GT PREMIUM 5 SPEED WITH COLD AIR INDUCTION ALREADY DONE. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE BEST EXHAUST SYSTEM IS TO PUT ON THIS CAR. I WAS TOLD TO PUT BORLA WITH AN X PIPE BUT A MUFFLER GUY TOLD ME AFTER 6 MONTHS THAT MY ENGINE LIGHT WOULD COME ON IF I USE THE X PIPE. HE TOLD ME TO JUST PUT 2 MAGNA FLOW MUFFLERS ON THEIR BECAUSE THAT 2002 FACTORY PIPES ARE STAINLESS AND I WOULD JUST BE WAISTING MY MONEY. I DONT REALLY CARE ABOUT THE HORSEPOWER I JUST WANT A GOOD SOUNDING GROWL OUT OF THE CAR. SO IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO ID APPRECIATE IT BECAUSE IM AN CONFUSED ON WHAT TO PUT ON THERE.. THANKS...
Old 11-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I'm running an SLP Loudmouth II with an o/r x-pipe (stock manifolds) and it sounds absolutely awesome. There aren't really any sizeable hp gains to be found from one brand to the next, just personal preference in terms of sound. Lots of vid's on youtube you can preview to get an idea of how it will sound. I've never been a fan of just doing weld in mufflers, but power wise I don't think it makes much difference. As far as your check engine light, it will come on much sooner than 6 mos. with an aftermarket mid-pipe (about 3 to 5 drive cycles), I highly reccomend getting a tuner to fix this problem, but if you don't feel like spending $400 you can get MIL eliminators for about $50
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

as long as you get an X pipe with cats, your CEL should not come on.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LORENSANDERS
I HAVE A 2002 MUSTANG GT PREMIUM 5 SPEED WITH COLD AIR INDUCTION ALREADY DONE. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE BEST EXHAUST SYSTEM IS TO PUT ON THIS CAR. I WAS TOLD TO PUT BORLA WITH AN X PIPE BUT A MUFFLER GUY TOLD ME AFTER 6 MONTHS THAT MY ENGINE LIGHT WOULD COME ON IF I USE THE X PIPE. HE TOLD ME TO JUST PUT 2 MAGNA FLOW MUFFLERS ON THEIR BECAUSE THAT 2002 FACTORY PIPES ARE STAINLESS AND I WOULD JUST BE WAISTING MY MONEY. I DONT REALLY CARE ABOUT THE HORSEPOWER I JUST WANT A GOOD SOUNDING GROWL OUT OF THE CAR. SO IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO ID APPRECIATE IT BECAUSE IM AN CONFUSED ON WHAT TO PUT ON THERE.. THANKS...
your grammar sucks. and why are you talking in caps?

there is no best exhaust. people will post here all day long saying this is best no that is best no the other one is better. go on youtube and listen to exhuast clips and find one you like.

X pipe doesnt make your cel come on. it comes on if you dont have cats. you can buy some mil eliminators for 40 bucks and you can use an offroad pipe without a cel. replacing the catback is not a waste of money. the stock pipes are all 2.25" diameter, all aftermarket exhaust is 2.5" and have bigger/nicer looking tips.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
your grammar sucks. and why are you talking in caps?

there is no best exhaust. people will post here all day long saying this is best no that is best no the other one is better. go on youtube and listen to exhuast clips and find one you like.

X pipe doesnt make your cel come on. it comes on if you dont have cats. you can buy some mil eliminators for 40 bucks and you can use an offroad pipe without a cel. replacing the catback is not a waste of money. the stock pipes are all 2.25" diameter, all aftermarket exhaust is 2.5" and have bigger/nicer looking tips.
there is no need to be rude.

if your state has emissions testing, you WILL need cats on your car to pass the visual inspection. most states just plug in and see if you throw any codes and don't use a sniffer anymore. i would find out your states emissions laws before deciding on either midpipe. but again, a catted X or catted H will NOT throw a code.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

Nanaki is absolutely correct about the check engin light. I have Bassani headers with Bassani catted x pipe and Borla side-exit catbacks on my 04 Mustang GT and I get 2 MPG better than when it was stock. Also, the sound is absolutely fantastic. Not like the cookie-cutter sound that the crappy Flowmasters will give you. Also, my setup puts out 34 more hp on the dyno.