Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Do I need to buy a mid-pipe for driver's side?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:05 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Default Do I need to buy a mid-pipe for driver's side?

I bought two GT take-off mufflers that I want to have installed on my 08 V6. If I purchase a Pypes X-pipe, how do I complete the switch to dual exhausts? Questions:

1. Will the muffler shop install the x-pipe I provide and use the existing mid-pipe on the passenger side?

2. Will the muffler shop manufacture a mid-pipe for the drivers side?

3. Or, do I need to provide the mid-pipe for the driver side, or both sides for that matter?

I see this kit for $299 but it says "muffle delete" .

http://www.lmperformance.com/26792/.html

Signed, Confused.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

more then likely, if you bring them an x pipe, the muffler shop will custom make you piping that will run from your exhaust manifolds, to the x pipe you bring them. cant say for sure tho because each shop is different ive never owned a v6
Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 AM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
more then likely, if you bring them an x pipe, the muffler shop will custom make you piping that will run from your exhaust manifolds, to the x pipe you bring them. cant say for sure tho because each shop is different ive never owned a v6
Thanks luckythirteen13...

I am pretty sure the existing exhaust manifold to the cats stays as is. My understanding is that they will cut the existing y pipe (after the cats) and and replace that with the X pipe that I will provide.

I am more concerned with the piping after the X-pipe going to the mufflers. Do they typically manufacture those or would I need to provide?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08 Pony Package
Thanks luckythirteen13...

I am pretty sure the existing exhaust manifold to the cats stays as is. My understanding is that they will cut the existing y pipe (after the cats) and and replace that with the X pipe that I will provide.

I am more concerned with the piping after the X-pipe going to the mufflers. Do they typically manufacture those or would I need to provide?
they should be able to do either, but the more parts you bring them, the less custom work they will do therefor the cheaper itll be at the shop
Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Default where to buy a mid or over-the-axle pipe?

OK...I already have two GT take-offs and a Pypes X-Pipe that I am ready to have installed......I took my car to a few shops today ....neither where comfortable fabricating the pipe that runs from the aft end of the Xpipe ON THE DRIVERS SIDE to the inlet side of the muffler. They both said it was a very tight fit with gas lines and cross-members make it difficult. Both asked that I purchase a factory made pipe then come back and they will install...

So....does anyone know where to purchase a pipe for an 08 V6 with Pony Package - Manual transmission.....the pipe that runs from the X pipe to the muffler...not sure if that is a mid-pipe, intermediate pipe, or over-the-axle...whatever it is called...anyone know where to purchase one? Thanks

Last edited by 08 Pony Package; 12-29-2009 at 10:24 AM.