Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Future Exhaust Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:43 PM
flmcgough

Default Future Exhaust Mods

Hello,

I'm planning some mods for my car down the road (it's currently bone stock!), and I wanted some advice, from people who know much more than me! I don't plan on doing any serious mods (no supercharging, changing internal parts of the motor, etc.), but eventually I will likely add a CAI, throttle body and possibly plenum, underdrive pullies, and full exhaust.

With this in mind, should I go for shorties or long tubes? It sounds like long tubes are a HUGE pain to install, and it's a little hard to swallow the extra cost. It seems that I could likely install the shorties by myself, but the long tubes would require going to a shop. Also, are there any good catted H pipes out there, either for shorties or long tubes? Finally, I haven't decided on a Cat-back, but it's my understanding that any differences lie mainly in sound, not performance, correct? Any help you all can give me would be great.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Both long tubes and shorties are a pain to install, so i'd do long tubes since they're much better anyway.

With that said it's a good idea to get a matching shorty h pipe from the same manufacturer. For example i have BBK long tubes w/a BBK shorty catted h pipe.

Lastly, you are correct in that your cat back of choice should be selected based on sound, and not performance. The difference in power between various cat backs will be negligable.

I have SSS Terminator's, and am extremely happy with them. It really depends on the sound you're looking for.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

If you are gooing long tubes then waite on a mid pipe (x or h) but long tubes or shorties will both be just as tough to install... and as far as a cat back i like straight through mufflers! and i believe they are the best for HP adders (only by couple hp at most)... but go for whatever u think sounds best
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Are you trying to pass emissions with this set up? If so long tubes are illegal and you need cats.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:08 AM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flmcgough
Hello,

I'm planning some mods for my car down the road (it's currently bone stock!), and I wanted some advice, from people who know much more than me! I don't plan on doing any serious mods (no supercharging, changing internal parts of the motor, etc.), but eventually I will likely add a CAI, throttle body and possibly plenum, underdrive pullies, and full exhaust.

With this in mind, should I go for shorties or long tubes? It sounds like long tubes are a HUGE pain to install, and it's a little hard to swallow the extra cost. It seems that I could likely install the shorties by myself, but the long tubes would require going to a shop. Also, are there any good catted H pipes out there, either for shorties or long tubes? Finally, I haven't decided on a Cat-back, but it's my understanding that any differences lie mainly in sound, not performance, correct? Any help you all can give me would be great.

Thanks,
Frank
If you're experiencied, longtubes should be alright to put in. The install is annoying because you have to remove the k-member of the suspension to position them properly. If you're tight on money, don't bother with headers at all. I paid to get my longtubes installed.. the only thing on my car I didn't do myself. It cost a pretty penny unfortunately, so if money is an issue, don't get longtubes or shorties.

The factory shorties have decent flow, and with a nice x or h pipe setup with catback you'll pick up a few ponies. Longtubes will give you a significant and noticeable power gain whereas shorties will make it sound different (long tubes do also).

I have found my catted h pipe from BBK to work great with my BBK longtubes. To finish, I have MAC 3" catback. You're right... generally catback is about sound, given that the horsepower increase will be about the same among brands. 3" will give you more power of 2.5" only if you have the airflow to support it... I have a supercharger so it turned out to be beneficial for me, but if you plan on just bolt-ons, 2.5" will work fine.

Here's a video of my setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCRPr3fzHuw

just as a side note... this video was before I supercharged my car. At the time I just had my full exhaust, a tune, and a short throw shifter, and it was a ton of fun! The supercharger made the exhaust MUCH louder... it actually surprised me.. but my setup was already pretty robust and loud
Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 AM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pk222
Are you trying to pass emissions with this set up? If so long tubes are illegal and you need cats.
I live in New York, one of the most strict states on emissions... I also have longtubes.. I passed emissions no problem. Longtubes just relocate your O2 sensors, which might make the car's computer a little confused, but otherwise they work fine and clean.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

Hey whats up. Exhaust is a fun mod.
From what it sounds like are you doing this for sound mainly or the gains?

So as far as cat back goes Yes its mainly sound. If you go with a cheap no name ebay cat-back you wont be happy. But among the main brands there all good. Everyone has there favorite. Mine is Borla check out youtube and look up diffrent set ups on stock cars see what you like. Some of the companies have sound clips on there sites too.

As far as the H pipe same thing. Try to stick with the same company as the headers. But have you looked at X pipes as a mid pipe too? The power gains will be almost the same X might even be more at the top end? not sure. anyways The sound is the big diffrence between H and X pipes. Look them up too see if you like the way they sound.

As far headers go long tube will make more power. both with make your car sound better. For you though shorties might be better for you. Since your not planning any big power adders You will not create the power to take advantage of the long tubes. Yes long tubes will make you more power but maybe only a few. Where as if you had 500hp or something the HP gains off the long tube would be maybe as much as 50 more over shorties because you need a better flowing exhaust. bottom line you wont need long tubes. but if you think its worth the extra money they cost go for it.

If you get long tube headers. Make sure you get a shortie mid pipe and one made by the same company will be the best fit.