Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
There is no need to run meth full time. You can use the MAF or a MAP sensor to trigger it during boost. For setups that can run multiple computer maps, you can use a tune that is triggered by the Meth, as in the case of my fathers 335i. Meth has far more benefits to an engine than N2o does, and is far more forgiving. Bang for the buck, Nitrous may be the way to go, but involves more plumbing and security precautions for both the engine and the purge/pressure release system. In terms of ease of use and wear and tear, Methanol seems to be the way to go.

Have you run a methanol or nitrous system? In another post you made the comment about hating when people just recycle things they've read, yet you've offered nothing in the way of experience. I'm not saying you have none, but am just curious as to what it is since you seem very intent on me running N2o.

Perhaps I should be more clear. I have NO intent of running nitrous on this vehicle. I have run it before on a smallblock Corvette, and it ran great. We enjoyed it, it worked well, however I have no interest in that setup on my Saleen.
No, I dont run meth, but I have run n20. I dont like the idea of meth, if you ran it straight then go for it, but most people run a 50/50 mix and I dont like the idea of spraying water in there. I know its not technically full, but im not convinced of its safety if it failed. There was a thread about this about a year ago. Apparently there is a safety that will pull timing if the meth fails. It just seems to me that you dont really need more power full time, being that youve already got good power so why not just use n20 get max performance when you do spray. I will agree with your decision not to run it, for a car that was worried about how long it lasted I wouldnt run either, I would just upgrade the intercooler/ blower or heads and cams... hence my suggestion.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Fobra
Banned

100 (dry) shot on a 4.6L and 200 (wet) shot on a 5.3L
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Fobra
Banned

and my friend runs a 75 dry on his whipple cobra
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

The point I'm trying to convey is that like Nitrous, you do not have to run Meth full time. In fact, the way most systems are designed on forced induction setups, you are only using Methanol when you're into boost. On an application such as mine, I am only in boost at WOT, hence meth would only be sprayed during that time period.

A 49/51 mix is recommended because it makes the methanol inflammable at that point. It really depends on your setup as to what amount of methanol you're going to run. Superchargers tend to favor more water than a turbocharged car.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Fobra
Banned

In the "real world" though, youve got a nice car there... I would forge, then do H/C first. What power is the car making as it sits?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
In the "real world" though, youve got a nice car there... I would forge, then do H/C first. What power is the car making as it sits?
Provided its factory and isn't an upgraded pully/injectors (just got this car a week ago) it should be at 435hp 420 torque at the engine.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Fobra
Banned

Ported heads and cam would max you out then, but probably give the best performance across the entire band, while being almost 100% and not devalue the car.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Fobra
Banned

I agree... i would use it for safety, but using it to run an on edge tune is simply not smart. but its your car.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Methanol injection