Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Total Noob Question: S/C + CAI = ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

its your car, go with what you want. my boss has a shelby with all frpp and shelby performance parts on it and it handles well but there are companies that special in one aspect of a vehicle so have more research into a specific setup then.

anyways, some tunes stay attached to the vehicle at all times, some plug in, do their job and get unplugged. some can change the tune while driving, others cant.

yes you can have a mpg tune but there is no point. getting high mpg is about efficiency. making the most power possible from each drop of fuel. sounds like the most fuel efficient tune is also the most powerful to me. i have a tuner for my truck with 3 custom tunes and unless im towing, i just leave the performance tune it because i get better mpg then stock while still making more power (and my truck is lifted 9" and on 37" tires)
Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

stop thinking about swapping tunes around, it doesnt work like that. ESPECIALLY if you put a blower on it. if you put a blower on it you WILL NOT want to swap away from anything except the tune your dyno guy puts on it. to get some cheap *** conservative tune could blow your motor the first time you hit boost.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Ok, understood.

I only asked because I've heard that there are chips that you can add to your comp to instantly increase mph. Sounded too good to be true, but now I'm seeing chips and tuning computers, so I'm just trying to figure out the point. Especially of these advertised "custom tunes." From what I'm reading here (and I sincerely appreciate all the time and help from everyone) it sounds like a quick tune and it will never need to be changed unless something else is installed in the engine.

Do any of these things cause potential damage, or reduce life expectancy, if installed and used correctly? The gear upgrade definitely sounds cool, and it will no doubt be my first purchase, but what does that extra torque do to all the spinning parts?

Thanks guys.
I've learned more in a week of being here than in the last 9 months of owning my first 'stang.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

spinning parts? people have been supercharging and regearing mustangs for years, the extra power will be fine as long as you get a good tune. after the sc is put on, your car needs to be strapped down to a dyno and tuned, any tune that comes in the mail is not recomended on a boosted car
Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Okay, so I'm set with looking into gears, once I confirm my stock gear ratio.

Is there anything I need to know to find the right exhaust? I've seen x and h config. Didn't see any number associated with them, is there a way to know I'm getting the right parts, for the performance increase I'm looking for?

Also, good info on the tuning. Sounds like once it's set at the shop it stays. Less for me to worry about.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Gearhead559
2nd Gear Member

best bang for the buck is going to be a cai and a tune on the 05 up stuff...for sure a change you can really feel.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead559
best bang for the buck is going to be a cai and a tune on the 05 up stuff...for sure a change you can really feel.
Really?

This whole thread began on the note that a CAI was far from best bang for the buck, as you only get about 10 extra hp for like $400. Even with the tune.

On this and other threads people are recommending gears and exhaust to start, followed by a SC or NO2 if the money is there.

Is there something you know that others don't?
I'm still learning here, so I'm listening to everyone.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:50 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
the 3v motors make some decent power gains with an intake and a tune. on the 2v motors you see maybe 5hp on a stock car. but im pretty sure the 3v with a tune will get an extra 20hp or so. but WHY did you spend labor costs? all you needed was some basic hand tools and a few minutes in your driveway.
i told you that on the first page. theres no reason to waste money on a CAI for meager gains when you have near future plans for a blower.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

I can say for a fact that a cai n a tune will make u feel a lil more power, but if you put a blower or nitrous on the car will feel like a totally different car.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

a cai alone wont net you jack for power. thats why everyone recommends a tune with it because youll get most of the power gain from the tuner because ford has a very conservative tune in the car from the factory.

just to clarify, if you plan to sc, it is a waste of money to buy a cai now. if you decide not to get a sc then i would recommend a cai and tune. keep in mind a tune and cai will be good for 30-35hp but are quite expensive. basically we are trying to save you from buying parts that will be replaced by other parts

Quick Reply: Total Noob Question: S/C + CAI = ??