Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

water to air intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

Default water to air intercooler

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TYPE-...Q5fAccessories

how is that kit/company?

anybody have any experience?

I priced out everything last night and its about 1000 for
-water pump
-ice box
-heat exchanger
-fan
-intercooler
-piping
-hoses
-clamps
-battery relocation

I would prob. swap out that intercooler for this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...QQcmdZViewItem

It would be more like the vortech aftercooler setup, except like $700 cheaper

Thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

is this a street car or a race car?

if your going to drive it on the street i would recommend going a/a instead of a/w. air/water is nice at the track because you can fill the tank with ice while you make a few passes, but this isnt practical on the street. on the street your going to have ambient water temps (at best) running through the cooler. at that rate you could just run an a/a and have ambient air passing through the cooler. water tends to heat soak on really hot days and that heat exchanger helps but in the end, itll never get the water colder them ambient. a/a is a lot cheaper too, about $300 total.

planning on adding boost and having it retuned after the cooler goes in?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

well the car is at 381 wheel right now through my automatic, i don't really want to push mush over 400.

Regardless of what I do a/a or w/a I'm going to pulley down to a 3.33 from a 3.60

But onto the car....

It is a street car that sees the track every now and then. It's not a daily driver anymore so it only sees the street for mustang meets and just cruising around plus the occasional semi-long distant trip

I was told by my tuner Pro-Dyno, a well known guy that a/a coolers don't work as well on these cars as a w/a does.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing at this point
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

well if your goal is only 20hp more, i would never spend $1000 on a cooler to gain 20hp. to be honest, the pulley swap alone will get you 20hp. im just trying to save you some cash.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

well im okay with the power, but its only when its cool outside...haha

i'm just trying to keep the IATs down...what do you suggest?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

if it was me, id just do the pulley swap and then have it retuned. youll get your 400hp and itll be the cheapest route. high IATs mean nothing unless the car starts to detonate. your tuner, if any good, will have no problems at all getting you a safe tune for your set up.

if you really want a cooler, go a/a. ive never heard any one say a/w is better then a/a for a specific car. if you can fit an intercooler in front of the radiator, the a/a will work just as good as an a/w.

basically just cant see spending over $1000 for 20hp
Old 04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

well when the IAT's are high the car pulls timing...therefore less power, So I;m just wanting to keep the IATs down so that driving during the day it wont feel slow as shizz haha
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i bought the type 14 i/c from them. great quality from what ive seen but my car being a dd ad finding out about the info ^ above a while back, im selling it along with the icebox and going air to air.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

1000$ for a water kit? wow thats a bit of on the high side. awhile back i priced one for under 500$ shipped. i used http://www.frozenboost.com

the mean benefit i have heard guys go air/water for is pressure drop. especially guys who are running the crappy ebay intercoolers that tend to have huge pressure drops. not really sure if it makes sense. an air/water intercooler typcially has a lower pressure drop (some report lower than a .1 PSI) where as some ebay intercoolers are more than 1 PSI. how true that is i have no idea.

if your worried about IAT's - maybe consider a meth injection kit? though i think with the vortech you'd probably be better of just pulley swapping + tuning to 400. save you the time and cash.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

the i/c i have is from frozenboost. i havent ran it but the craftsmanshift is very good.

Quick Reply: water to air intercooler