Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Looking for Muffler Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:24 PM
aadmikep
1st Gear Member

Default Looking for Muffler Advice

I've been enjoying fixing up my Mustang. I think it's time to upgrade the factory muffler. I'm looking for something with a nice deep goan out the tailpipe and not sure which one to get. I heard that some mufflers sound great out the tailpipe and are able to keep it quieter inside the car.

I noticed that the muffler is welded to the exhaust system. Is this a do it yourself job or do I need a pro?

The thing I really want is the deep roar outside and minimal sounds inside the car.

Any advice or personal experiences regarging the work and what brand, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

my .02 says go magnaflow.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ward_spratlin
my .02 says go magnaflow.
+1, thats what i run on my truck. great for a daily driver. good deep sound under load and at wot but barely louder then stock at idle
Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
+1, thats what i run on my truck. great for a daily driver. good deep sound under load and at wot but barely louder then stock at idle

this has rlly nothing to do with exhuast but i have to ask how your running a twin turbo setup and its never been tuned how long have you had it on???
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ward_spratlin
this has rlly nothing to do with exhuast but i have to ask how your running a twin turbo setup and its never been tuned how long have you had it on???
its been on for about 2 years. i have a stand alone system and a wide band. i looked at my mods, wrote a tune, made a few passes down the track while data logging. looked at my logs and adjusted from there. by untuned, i mean at the time that pass was made, the car had never been on the dyno. i was also running 9spi when i made that pass.

i have put it on the dyno last months, its running really rich down low, lean up top so we only did pulls to 5500 rpms but it still made 567rwhp @11psi. i plan to get back on the dyno later this month and hopefully work out my bugs so i can go up to 17psi. havent been back to the track since being on the dyno
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

i have magnaflows on my '03 and I really like them. There were really loud after I put long tubes and an O/R x pipe on. Since I installed new High Flow Cats this past weekend, it came down to a nice deep tone (I can also hear the supercharger alot more now, lol). I also have minimal drone at cruising speeds.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
its been on for about 2 years. i have a stand alone system and a wide band. i looked at my mods, wrote a tune, made a few passes down the track while data logging. looked at my logs and adjusted from there. by untuned, i mean at the time that pass was made, the car had never been on the dyno. i was also running 9spi when i made that pass.

i have put it on the dyno last months, its running really rich down low, lean up top so we only did pulls to 5500 rpms but it still made 567rwhp @11psi. i plan to get back on the dyno later this month and hopefully work out my bugs so i can go up to 17psi. havent been back to the track since being on the dyno

haha nice let me know what kinda power your pushing at 17 psi when you get it on the dyno ;-)