Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Questions about supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Default Questions about supercharging

For the past few months I have been thinknig about the idea of supercharging my car. So last night I went on ebay and won a vortech head unit (plan on peicing one together). Its a polished V2 unit with about 1300 miles on it. Cost me $740 when all said and done with shipping. So I have a few questions about supercharging it. First off, would it harm anything on the car if I were to put an oiler cooler on that car routed before the supercharger. This way, the oil running to the supercharger is cooler and possibly allow the supercharger to run cooler/ more efficient?
For my next question its about tuning. Ive noticed that alot of online companies offer BAMA tuning with the sct chips. Would this be good enough for my car, or do I still need it to get dynoed and tuned?
Last but not least, I found a great price on some 40lb fuel injectors for my model mustang. Would that be good enough or would getting 42lb fuel injectors make that great of a difference.

Btw, If it makes any difference, I plan on also doing an air to air intercooler on the car.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
For the past few months I have been thinknig about the idea of supercharging my car. So last night I went on ebay and won a vortech head unit (plan on peicing one together). Its a polished V2 unit with about 1300 miles on it. Cost me $740 when all said and done with shipping. So I have a few questions about supercharging it. First off, would it harm anything on the car if I were to put an oiler cooler on that car routed before the supercharger. This way, the oil running to the supercharger is cooler and possibly allow the supercharger to run cooler/ more efficient?
For my next question its about tuning. Ive noticed that alot of online companies offer BAMA tuning with the sct chips. Would this be good enough for my car, or do I still need it to get dynoed and tuned?
Last but not least, I found a great price on some 40lb fuel injectors for my model mustang. Would that be good enough or would getting 42lb fuel injectors make that great of a difference.

Btw, If it makes any difference, I plan on also doing an air to air intercooler on the car.
The oil cooler makes sense. I personally wouldn't do it just because it would be one more place to get a leak.
I know some people have good success with mail order tunes but I would HIGHLY recommend you get a dyno tune after you install the supercharger. This way you are going to see real time how the car reacts to the FI and adjustment can be made accordingly. You will get the most HP for your buck this way too.
As for the fuel injectors, the 40 lbs would be fine. It just all depends on how much horsepower you are looking for. Good rule to follow is to only have to upgrade your fuel system one time.
Good luck with the install!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Thanks bruthru for the info. I plan around the 400 range.As I dont plan on redoing the bottom end for atleast a few years.

i found an intercooler that may work well becuase of where the outlet/inlet is located off to one side. I thought this would be good so theres less piping and less loss of psi. What do you guys think about it? Would it still utilize the full intercooler or not because the inlet/outlet are all on one side?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRac...item588248d2b7
Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

if you can route the pipes and make it work, go for it. You might run into a little trouble between the running both pipes and the intake pipe for the supercharger in the same general area, might be too tight. I like vertical flow intercoolers myself.