Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

vortech winter help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default vortech winter help!

http://www.wolverineheater.com/products.shtml

what do you guys think about me rigging something up so that I can heat up the blower 10-15 minutes prior to start up during the winter? the pad will pretty much be placed on the backside of the blower, hooked up to an AUX power outlet (key/power on/engine off), and then start it up safely once it's nice and warmed up enough.

Obviously I'll disconnect the power during the summer and zip tie the cord safely away from sharp/rotating parts.

Looking at the model 9 or 16. The vortech is a "torqueless wonder" so even with 480whp (intercooled), it's a pup under 2800 rpm so it's all good during winter driving...

for those who do not have a Vortech, the winter warning is pretty much to warm up the blower for 10-15 minutes via heating blanket or garage and use a small shop light placed over the blower over night. Engine block heater does nadda since it's a self-lubricated kit. If instructions are not followed, the blower destroys itself on start up.. the EXACT moment of start up! Being in Anchorage Alaska, it does get down to -25 on occasion..

help!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Where did you hear about the blower destroying itself in the cold? I seem to remember reading the manuals pretty closely and I don't remember that part.

Not calling you a liar, I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything important.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:39 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...erlands-2.html

heres one of the threads from another sites. on the v3 kit, it was on the flier that was with the envelope for the warranty. I'll see if I can find it later...
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

you drive your car in temps lower then 25*? f*ck that!!

seriously tho, if you let the car come up to opperating temp, the blower will warm up too. keep in mind, any time its spinning, making boost or not, heat is made. friction exists at all temps and loads. not to mention the fact that the motor is heating the engine bay, which is where the sc just so happens to be
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I thoght that too, but if you look at a cutaway pic of the supercharger, you will see that the gears inside are configured in a way that is very exact and tight fitting against one another. In extreme cold weathers, these clearances change and those changes destroy the blower at the exact moment of start up.. so I have been warned. Ah, this will be the last year with the Vortech anyways... I'll most likely get rid of it next summer.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

i drove all last winter with no problems, and have the car warm up as it would naturally without the blower
Old 06-23-2010, 03:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildazme
i drove all last winter with no problems, and have the car warm up as it would naturally without the blower
where do you live? how cold has it gotten? I talked to a dude that drove through 2 winters with his and his is getting repaired right now due to bearing failure.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

is this all vortechs or just the self contained ones?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

I live in nyc and its gotten into the twentys a few times and no problems
Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildazme
I live in nyc and its gotten into the twentys a few times and no problems
20s is cold but not -20 like the Vortech states so it should be okay.. -25 is freezing cold anyways, the last thing I would worry about would be the blower lulz

regardless, vortech says they will NOT cover the damages and its not under warranty if it does blow up..

Quick Reply: vortech winter help!