Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

SSS exhaust (mini review)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the detailed reply!!

I had a 2008 GT (stock exhaust) that I suspect developed an exhaust leak where the axle backs bolt on because at one point after putting about 6K on the odometer it got louder and I started getting noticeable drone. It wasn't horrible but somewhat annoying. I don't mind a little drone but don't want TOO much.

FWIW, the exhaust on the 2008 did a good job of putting my daughters to sleep...if my choice of a new axle back for my 2010 has the same effect it wouldn't be entirely bad. My kids make so much noise when awake, the drone combined with them being asleep would be quieter for sure
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole
Thanks for the detailed reply!!

I had a 2008 GT (stock exhaust) that I suspect developed an exhaust leak where the axle backs bolt on because at one point after putting about 6K on the odometer it got louder and I started getting noticeable drone. It wasn't horrible but somewhat annoying. I don't mind a little drone but don't want TOO much.

FWIW, the exhaust on the 2008 did a good job of putting my daughters to sleep...if my choice of a new axle back for my 2010 has the same effect it wouldn't be entirely bad. My kids make so much noise when awake, the drone combined with them being asleep would be quieter for sure
Funny response, I'm going through the same decision making process about exhuast lol.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wiking
STANGmole - I did a trip to Montana a while back and had the SLP'S on. At times there was a drone (especially in hilly or mountain country) depending on the gear and speed. My daughter always made a comment that the noise would put you to sleep. It was like you were in a buddhist temple and all the munks were humming. So far it seems that with the windows up, the SSS sound goes out the back, not in the cabin. So far, I have not detected any drone as compared to the SLP. I can definately tell that my exhaust is louder, but it mostly goes behind me and not inside with me if that makes any sense. What I wanted in an exhaust was something that I could hear when my windows were up, but I don't want something obnoxious either. The SSS to me is what I was looking for and wish I could have saved that $460 that I spent on the SLP's. $300's not bad for an exhaust and if you don't like the sound you're not out too much (everyone has their own taste when it comes to exhaust). Take your pic with an exhaust and try it - it will just depend on what YOU want. Back in 2004, the GT I had ran Flomasters which I liked (I liked it back then). No problem with the questions by the way. Somethingabout the install - the SSS is one piece then add the tips. The SLP was in several pieces which I did not like and never got it properly lined up to my taste. Hope some of this helps.
Wiking,
Thank you, I just found this thread and as I mentioned in the other one... I too, am having trouble finding an exhaust to pick.. the more I read and listen to clips (which I'm sure are not accurate), the more I find myself not being able to decide lol.
At first I was set on the 3 chamber flowmasters and I had a set on my 89 5.0 and they were great (however that was 20 years ago and I was a teenager then lol, drone would not have bothered me lol). then i read a lot of people complaining about them and the drone, even on the 3 chambers... a lot of people, including local shops, have recomended the magnapacks and now I read this lol.... The issue to me is not as much the difference in price but more getting the right ones that don't annoy me to no end lol.
how would you compare the SSS to the flows and magnapacks? sorry for the longwinded question, just so hard to tell without being able to hear them in person
Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
wiking
1st Gear Member

Can't help w/magnapacks and it's been since 2004 since I had flowmasters. The flowmasters I had remind me alot sound wise of the SLP's I just took off. The sound was a little too quiet for me. I am glad I got the SSS more each day I drive. Went a couple of hours away this morning and I can tell you that "I" have no drone at all. Take off from a stop light for example (normal) to me sounds perfect. I've quit listening to the radio since I got these since they sound better than anything on sirius. I will be going to Fla around the first of the month and would be glad to try and meet so you could see/hear in person (you can send me a PM if interested).
Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wiking
Can't help w/magnapacks and it's been since 2004 since I had flowmasters. The flowmasters I had remind me alot sound wise of the SLP's I just took off. The sound was a little too quiet for me. I am glad I got the SSS more each day I drive. Went a couple of hours away this morning and I can tell you that "I" have no drone at all. Take off from a stop light for example (normal) to me sounds perfect. I've quit listening to the radio since I got these since they sound better than anything on sirius. I will be going to Fla around the first of the month and would be glad to try and meet so you could see/hear in person (you can send me a PM if interested).
Thanks, I'm going to just get the flowmasters and be done with it. where in Florida are you coming to? I'm in south florida and would love to meet up if we both can make time, that would be cool!!