Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

HELP modified exhaust ticket....wtf

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy HELP modified exhaust ticket....wtf

Now I have an 06 v6 mustang with an Hpipe and a pair of the shops mufflers. I was cruising at 20mph and got lit up by a UCLA cop. Apparently, these school cops having nothing else to do. But now its me that doesn't know what to do.

Yesterday I went to my court arraignment, where I pleaded not guilty because I do not believe my v6 is louder than any GT/ Harley/ Lambo/ Ducati/ or Ferrari in my area.

If I am not mistaken, the GT Mustang comes stock with an H pipe? And can I just say I have Gt mufflers? My exhaust is legal, nothing out of the ordinary done anywhere to the car. But does anyone know how the hell I can fight this absurd ticket?!

thank you in advance, I am in much needed help on this.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

honestly you dont have much to fight with...cali is a b****...

california law requires that all stock emissions systems be in place and functioning, and any and all "performance" modifications done to the car must have a CARB approval sticker. CARB = california air resources board. if you have equipment that is not OEM and it does not have a CARB approval sticker, you will fail your visual inspection when it comes time to get your yearly inspection sticker.

if its an aftermarket H pipe or something a muffler shop bent for you (catted or not doesnt matter) theres not going to be a CARB approval for it, so thats an automatic failure.

basically it does not boil down to how loud your car is. the ONLY possible way you would be able to weasel out of this ticket would be if you are running a stock GT h pipe (what do you have? aftermarket or a GT stocker?). if you have a stock GT pipe on you may be able to get away with saying it is factory mustang equipment and brown nose the judge a little bit and the judge may buy it. or he could also say that its not OEM equipment for your specific vehicle and he'd probably be justified in saying that. i dont know cali law enough to know if a stock GT midpipe on a v6 is even legal or not.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM
04orngegt
1st Gear Member

If Cali is anything like Maryland modifiying the exhaust in anyway from the way it came factory makes it illegal. Doesnt matter if the company you got the exhaust from says its legal.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

jeeze that stinks i know calis laws suck.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:03 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

cats?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

catalytic converters...

Is the ticket for excessive noise, modified exhaust, or both?

And good luck in cali... Cali as a state wanted to sue the top 7 auto manufacturers a few years ago for polluting the air. That's how lame they are about emissions and mods.

The fact you modified a working exhaust system already means you lose. You'll need to swap the exhaust back to OEM (if you still have parts) and get it signed off by a CHP or other authorized place. Most likely a Smog place.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
catalytic converters...

Is the ticket for excessive noise, modified exhaust, or both?

And good luck in cali... Cali as a state wanted to sue the top 7 auto manufacturers a few years ago for polluting the air. That's how lame they are about emissions and mods.

The fact you modified a working exhaust system already means you lose. You'll need to swap the exhaust back to OEM (if you still have parts) and get it signed off by a CHP or other authorized place. Most likely a Smog place.
the ticket is for modified exhaust, but if I swap out the exhaust to a stock one, can i just say to the judge that this is the exhaust i had when he pulled me over..."completely stock"
Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Sure you can say that but the cop will probably b there or be called to court. And judges hear that all the time. I wouldn't lie to the judge out a stocker on say u bought the car like that and you didn't know the laws. And maybe he will drop it
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Ravenatic20

Originally Posted by 04orngegt
If Cali is anything like Maryland modifiying the exhaust in anyway from the way it came factory makes it illegal. Doesnt matter if the company you got the exhaust from says its legal.
What do you know about Maryland laws? I live in Maryland and I am about to change out my exhaust.

Don't mean to hijack this thread or anything guys.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 PM
mmcdon
1st Gear Member

Good Luck man, maybe the cop wont show

Quick Reply: HELP modified exhaust ticket....wtf