Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Is supercharger + nitrous a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Default Is supercharger + nitrous a good idea?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone thinks superchargers and nitrous is a bad combination. I can't seem to find too much info on the subject and even Kenne Bell's testing doesn't include it. I wanted to make a little more power on my current setup with future plans of using the KB 2.6L big bore SC. My current SC is maxed out (cuz saleen sux). I'm running about a 12.4XX at about 110 mph on a 1/4 but want to try to get into the 11's. For one, will nitrous alone achieve this goal? Is it dangerous? Will my transmission/fuel system (using a focus pump)/ rear end handle it? BTW I'm comfortable with using low shots like 75 and I was looking at the wet kit they have on Americanmuscle(dot)com for 5XX bucks. Will this affect the future goal of adding a cobra tank/pumps and the KB big bore? Please no hypothesis answers or guesses and if you have an answer please explain it (I know nothing about nitrous).

Little more info about my setup, I do have a forged internal engine at 8:1 CR so it can stand pretty good amount of boost.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Default No hypotheticals here!

I've already done just what you're talking about doing, but on a 4-valve motor with a manual transmission. Your motor looks strong enough to handle it with no problem. You are most likely going to have to upgrade to at least 60lb. injectors, definitely more fuel pump w/BAP. I don't know what kind of stresses the auto trans is going to be able to handle, but you definitely need a good, beefed up rear end and axles to take the torque shot of both power adders.

Just so you know, I'm running a Kenne Bell 2.1 @16psi and feeding in a NX 100 shot @3500 rpms. On it's one and only run at the track, it ran a 10.27 e.t. @130+ mph, but because of no roll cage, it won't be back on the track anytime soon!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

^ How is the 2.1 working for you at 16psi? I didn't know you could run them that high.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
^ How is the 2.1 working for you at 16psi? I didn't know you could run them that high.
It's almost better than sex! I'm running a 2.1 "tuner kit" for 99/01 Cobra and 03/04 Mach 1. It uses a 3 inch blower pulley and a 10% overdrive Innovators West crank dampner/pulley. Conservatively tuned at 11.5:1 a/f and pulling 17 degrees of timing at WOT, it maintains 16psi all the way through the rpm band, until you let off the gas. On 93 octane pump gas, this kit will probably max out at 18psi of boost.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:36 PM
S-Trimmed302
1st Gear Member

N20 and a Blower works Very good and 99.9% of the time on the Dyno whatever shot you Spray say you spray a 50 shot of N20, that will usually equal 100rwhp when combined with boost because of the Extra added cooling abilities and whatever boost your Shoving down its intake.Lower Shots of N20 like 75 or Less work the best unless you have a Real Motor and Block like a Dart then you could Spray more reliably.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S-Trimmed302
N20 and a Blower works Very good and 99.9% of the time on the Dyno whatever shot you Spray say you spray a 50 shot of N20, that will usually equal 100rwhp when combined with boost because of the Extra added cooling abilities and whatever boost your Shoving down its intake.Lower Shots of N20 like 75 or Less work the best unless you have a Real Motor and Block like a Dart then you could Spray more reliably.
Thank you. Good info!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach1man
I've already done just what you're talking about doing, but on a 4-valve motor with a manual transmission. Your motor looks strong enough to handle it with no problem. You are most likely going to have to upgrade to at least 60lb. injectors, definitely more fuel pump w/BAP. I don't know what kind of stresses the auto trans is going to be able to handle, but you definitely need a good, beefed up rear end and axles to take the torque shot of both power adders.

Just so you know, I'm running a Kenne Bell 2.1 @16psi and feeding in a NX 100 shot @3500 rpms. On it's one and only run at the track, it ran a 10.27 e.t. @130+ mph, but because of no roll cage, it won't be back on the track anytime soon!
Sounds good and thanks for the injector tip but I figured I would need better ones eventually for the 2.6L. That's an amazing pass and I'm not even looking to get that high. hmmm... Looks like I might have to invest in a roll cage too. Did you do that on slicks or radials (my goal is to never have to use slicks)? Also, I have the shaker hood like you, so I'm assuming the Kenne Bell 2.6 should fit under that? I'm really worried about it because I like the shaker hood better than the cobra hood so much that I would actually not do the swap if it means losing my shaker...
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
JT76

How are you only running a 12.4 @ 110 with ~400 rwhp? I think a driver mod would be more beneficial than nitrous!

But yes, nitrous will give you a significant gain with a positive displacement supercharger. My friend put a 75 shot on his pullied 03 cobra and went from 11.8 @ 120 mph to 11.39 @ 126 mph. Your motor seems to be built well, and as long as your tune is on you should be in good shape!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JT76
How are you only running a 12.4 @ 110 with ~400 rwhp? I think a driver mod would be more beneficial than nitrous!

But yes, nitrous will give you a significant gain with a positive displacement supercharger. My friend put a 75 shot on his pullied 03 cobra and went from 11.8 @ 120 mph to 11.39 @ 126 mph. Your motor seems to be built well, and as long as your tune is on you should be in good shape!
lol, That's on a hot day. Haven't got a chance to run it when it's cool. In 50* weather I usually gain .25 on the 1/8 (don't know about 1/4). But I also suffer from having the auto but that's what I want and don't care what people think. But with a real manual my 60' would be a whole lot better; it's a 1.9 now. This is just my first hotrod but I have an 86 IROC Z (stock) and I just bought a red 06' Z06 (also stock) on ebay a month ago so I'm just having fun with this stuff. I'm cool with not running as fast as a manual because I have the dough to make it faster And thanks for the real world stats, I appreciate advice from people who have actually tried it opposed to those who like to speculate.

Last edited by 00_buck; 02-28-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:17 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I know you're a convertible and an auto, so that's hurting you a bit, but still I think some suspension work and a better tire would get you into the 11's pretty well.

Quick Reply: Is supercharger + nitrous a good idea?