Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Pypes X-Pipe Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Default Pypes X-Pipe Help

Hi all,

I wonder if I could trouble the board with a query… I purchased the Ford Mustang (Off-road) X-pipe Kit part # XFM23 from Pypes; I checked my Pennsylvania local and states laws and found I needed catalytic convertors in order to pass visual check performed during the state inspection so I also purchased the Highflow mini catalytic convertors part # CVM10K from Pypes; finally before attempting to install anything I checked with Pypes to confirm that with the catalytic convertors installed the off-road kit would be street legal and pass a PA inspection test.

Today I took everything to be installed and after about an hour of the car been in the shop I got a phone call from my installer who said that after doing some checking the kit could not be installed due to the fact that the catalytic convertors would have been installed in a non-standard position. I was intending to have my state inspection done at the same time and the installer said it would fail / he could not put a sticker on it with the system installed.

So I guess what I am looking for is information on whether or not what my installer told me is accurate / knowledge from anyone else running these parts / etc.

I don't have the workspace / time / tools patience / etc to go through removing the system and putting the stock one back each and every time I need to get an inspection and I am kind of annoyed that I didn't know this before buying the parts so if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Ok I got a little more information... It has something to do with installing the cats side by side and that's illegal in PA. So my options are to not install or install without cats and remove before next inspection or install with cats and then remove before next inspection.

Any thoughts??
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

That sucks. I cant help but Im so glad that doesn't happen in TN. Those laws sound so silly.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 AM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

So after talking to American Muscle and Pypes (both based in PA) it seems my installer was wrong or just didn't want to do the job so looking for a different shop now...
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheB1GDude
So after talking to American Muscle and Pypes (both based in PA) it seems my installer was wrong or just didn't want to do the job so looking for a different shop now...
TheB1GDude,

I'm glad you called in and got a little more information. I haven't heard of not being able to have the cats side by side as a PA state law, especially since most factory v8 cars are that way. Look for another shop to take the Stang too and stop in before you make an appointment to give them a heads up on the situation. Hopefully this will prevent you from wasting any more of your time with another shop.

Hope you gets everything worked out shortly!

Shane
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
TheB1GDude,

I'm glad you called in and got a little more information. I haven't heard of not being able to have the cats side by side as a PA state law, especially since most factory v8 cars are that way. Look for another shop to take the Stang too and stop in before you make an appointment to give them a heads up on the situation. Hopefully this will prevent you from wasting any more of your time with another shop.

Hope you gets everything worked out shortly!

Shane
Thanks Shane and a big thanks to Matt from your support team, he was really helpful in getting me through this!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I purchased a Stainless Bassani Catted "X" pipe and got a lot more flow from it. I can tell the increased flow because of how much louder the exhaust is.
Why not return your "X" pipe & order the Catted version? It might even be cheaper in the long run, plus you will have a solid warranty.
You might want to consider Stainless since you live in Pennsylvania.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
I purchased a Stainless Bassani Catted "X" pipe and got a lot more flow from it. I can tell the increased flow because of how much louder the exhaust is.
Why not return your "X" pipe & order the Catted version? It might even be cheaper in the long run, plus you will have a solid warranty.
You might want to consider Stainless since you live in Pennsylvania.
At the time I couldn't afford the Bassani cat setup, I did look at it and was impressed by it but was on a fixed budget so went with the Pypes system instead... the other problem I have that I didn't mention here is that I purchased the Pypes system almost a year ago now but due to a few personal issues have only just gotten around to picking it back up, American Muscle are an amazing vendor but I'm sure they draw the line at taken back a part thats over a year old