Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

4.0 V6 ProCharger Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
This was a great thread. I've finally gotten the time and the confidence to attempt this myself over my winter break. After sitting in my garage for nearly 2+ years I've finally gathered the testicular fortitude to install my ProCharger Kit. So far I've done brakes, audio equipment installations and switched out my entire exhaust system, but installing F/I will be my biggest project to date. I've already taken off two weeks from work for my holiday vacation and I figured that would allot me plenty of time to get this done during the night while the wife and kiddies are asleep. I know it won't take two weeks, but I'm going to go slow and make sure I have everything covered and can spend some time during that two weeks breaking it in!!

My main reason for writing this post is to get any last minute tips and tricks from the gurus you and any of the other gurus here. I want to make sure I have all the tools and various nick knacks so no surprises creep up during my install. I purchased the all inclusive Stage II kit that included the air cooler and tuner. I already had an SCT tuner so I will be taking my car back to stock very shortly. After I get this done and my 'mod *****' grow I'm thinking I'll tackle getting my 8.8" rear on an installing some gauges. Is a Diablo MAFia a recommended purchase prior to installing this kit, or is it something I can just add in later when I do my gauges? Is the catch can a must during the initial install? I was planning on getting two of the Terminator/Aeroforce Scan Gauges so I didn't think the MAFia was needed. Everything I need to at least have my kit installed and running properly should be in this kit. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I'll first say congratulations on the super charger purchase. I think you'll be happy once it's all setup and running smooth. Also congratulations of the new set of *********. :-)

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, and provide additional advice. My first question to you is do you have a shop you trust to tune your car? The system comes with a tune from ProCharger but mine was throwing wrenches every time I drove it. Instead of working through the issues with ProCharger, I just went to Pro Dyno and had them tune it. It still needs some adjustments but overall it's been great. I didn't install any guages initially, but added a boost guage a couple months later. I'd say the catch can is something you should get in place as soon as you can. As you can see from my post here it will catch some water and oil which would otherwise end up in your super charger.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
I'll first say congratulations on the super charger purchase. I think you'll be happy once it's all setup and running smooth. Also congratulations of the new set of *********. :-)

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, and provide additional advice. My first question to you is do you have a shop you trust to tune your car? The system comes with a tune from ProCharger but mine was throwing wrenches every time I drove it. Instead of working through the issues with ProCharger, I just went to Pro Dyno and had them tune it. It still needs some adjustments but overall it's been great. I didn't install any guages initially, but added a boost guage a couple months later. I'd say the catch can is something you should get in place as soon as you can. As you can see from my post here it will catch some water and oil which would otherwise end up in your super charger.
I plan to find a shop here and get it tuned sometime next month hopefully. I didn't plan on keeping the stock ProCharger tune. I purchased mine so long ago I'm not too sure they would still work with me to get any issues ironed out. I'm also installing new livewires and a screamin demon coil as well as new plugs. The catch can just jumped up to the top of my list lol. I guess I'll be looking to get that after the 1st of the year. Any recommendations for one that has a good price?

Would you recommend holding off on the install until I get the catch can and install everything together?

Also, do you remember how much the dyno tune set you back? I just moved to Kentucky a short while ago, so I don't know of any good places to go to. When I lived in PA I intended to go to Tillman Speed which was very close by, but now I don't know. I was thinking of mail order, but most people advise against that. I mean I don't have many perf mods...just my MAC LTs & dual exhaust. Next up will be installing my 8.8 w/4.10s, but that would be the end of my 'GO' mods. With that being said is a mail order tune out of the question?

Last edited by Topless Stang; 12-18-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

You don't have to wait, but get it as soon as you can. I got mine on eBay. My dyno tune was $500.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I'm not sure how many of the email tuners will offer a tune for the V6. Not knocking V6's at all because I would put Kevin's car in my garage and be very happy. Just the fact is that a lot of the tuners are most likely going to be more well versed at working with the 4.6 & 5.0 engines.

You can try hitting up jay@hypermotiveperformace here on the forums, he can get you the JLT catch can and I think he is also linked up with Lund so he could let you know if they will tune it. I'm not sure what part of KY you're in but if you're not too far from the NC boarder you could still make the trip to see Dan @ Pro-Dyno. He's a good guy and he does great work.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

You don't have to wait, but get it as soon as you can. I got mine on eBay. My dyno tune was $500.
I was thinking of getting the Mishimoto one from AM for just under $90 shipped. I'll take a look at the fleBay ones and see what they're about. It's just a cup for catching oil/sludge, so there can't be that much to it. I was expecting to pay around $500. Justin @ VMP offers email tunes for the ProCharger for $250....I might go that route first and go get it dyno tuned after I get my gauges and new rear installed next year.

Just found this one on flebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-TURBO-...26ac80&vxp=mtr

Was yours something like that?

Last edited by Topless Stang; 12-18-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
I was thinking of getting the Mishimoto one from AM for just under $90 shipped. I'll take a look at the fleBay ones and see what they're about. It's just a cup for catching oil/sludge, so there can't be that much to it. I was expecting to pay around $500. Justin @ VMP offers email tunes for the ProCharger for $250....I might go that route first and go get it dyno tuned after I get my gauges and new rear installed next year.

Just found this one on flebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-TURBO-...26ac80&vxp=mtr

Was yours something like that?
Here's a link to the one I purchased. Very happy with it. I ordered this before JLT had them for the V6. Very easy to mount and it's very simple and clean.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...-polished.html

Last edited by kzonts; 12-18-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
I'm not sure how many of the email tuners will offer a tune for the V6. Not knocking V6's at all because I would put Kevin's car in my garage and be very happy. Just the fact is that a lot of the tuners are most likely going to be more well versed at working with the 4.6 & 5.0 engines.

You can try hitting up jay@hypermotiveperformace here on the forums, he can get you the JLT catch can and I think he is also linked up with Lund so he could let you know if they will tune it. I'm not sure what part of KY you're in but if you're not too far from the NC boarder you could still make the trip to see Dan @ Pro-Dyno. He's a good guy and he does great work.
Jeff is spot-on here. Tunes for the V6 are proably hard to get. It wouldn't hurt to contact Jason @ Hypermotive to see if they can provide a tune for you.

Thanks for the compliment Jeff!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Jeff is spot-on here. Tunes for the V6 are proably hard to get. It wouldn't hurt to contact Jason @ Hypermotive to see if they can provide a tune for you.

Thanks for the compliment Jeff!
I have always been a fan of the baby Ferrari!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll be ordering the JLT can this week and then getting a eTune from Justin @ VMP until I can get into see a reputable tuner.

Looks like AM has a good price on it...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-bl...er-0510v6.html

This is what most seem to rave about, and it looks super easy with an OEM fit. The $20 eBay one is $20 for a reason it seems...I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Topless Stang; 12-19-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

The JLT is for a standard setup. With the ProCharger it will be connected to the driver side since the PCV is capped. The JLT will work but you won't be able to use the tubes that come with it.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-19-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.0 V6 ProCharger Project