Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Nitrous on DD??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitrous on DD??

I am seriously considering nitrous. Does anybody have it on their dd with a safe 100 shot?
How much use do you get out of it before you are refilling?
Do you have any regrets on nitrous and wish you would have gone turbo/supercharger?
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

It's not like you would be using it everyday unless you chose to. I can't believe you have 4.30 gears on a DD.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawasakiguy
It's not like you would be using it everyday unless you chose to. I can't believe you have 4.30 gears on a DD.
Haha. Yes I have 4.30 gears but in 5th at 70 I only turn like 2500 rpms. I have 4.30 because my rear tire is 29.3 inches tall!
It really is more like 4.10s, to be precise 4.08, if I had stock height tires.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I have nitrous on my F-350....well....had. Bottle isn't even hooked up any more...but the kit is still there. Truck was my DD until I got the car. Think when we calculated the jets it came out to about a 125 shot.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
2009 Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
I have nitrous on my F-350....well....had. Bottle isn't even hooked up any more...but the kit is still there. Truck was my DD until I got the car. Think when we calculated the jets it came out to about a 125 shot.
Did you enjoy the nitrous or wish you had just supercharged it? How often were you spraying and having to fill up?
I'm pretty sure it illegal in md so I would be running the risk of getting caught. But, if I am saving a ton of money by using nitrous, then I will have a ton of money to pay off a ticket if I get caught. That is what I am thinking, any more input would be great!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

saving money? while you are blowing spent gases out the tail pipe you never get back the spent money on N20. the S/C is always there same with a turbo and they never run dry. But bang for the buck on the initial buy N20 is much cheaper and it is as about as stealth as you can get. I have never ran N20 so I cant say weather I would regret not running a S/C or turbo, but I have ran a S/C and now run a turbo and have no regrets running either.

Last edited by uedlose; 03-26-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM
JimC

I had nitrous on my 2006 before the supercharger. I preferred the supercharger because --- you never have to fill the bottle and boost is always there.

Nitrous really isn't a street power adder. I found that at the track I could make 10 or 12 passes on the 1/4 mile before I couldn't keep bottle pressure up high enough and had to refill the bottle. It isn't something that you would leave turned on all the time on the street and burn through a bottle a day for long at $4 a pound to refill.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 AM
aaaa1236
1st Gear Member

Its addictive, honestly if you can afford a turbo/sc id suggest it. If not nitrous is a blast, and pretty safe if set up properly. A 75-100 shot a few times a month wont hurt much over the life of the car. But Everytime you hit the button with nitrous youll want more and you car will seem sluggish without it. Its really like crack for your car. We have a local shop that runs nitrous on a few 5.0 fox bodies and i know those motors have seen 150k+ miles.

As far as usage, id say 10ish passes at the strip. The only car ive personally driven with nitrous was a saleen focus, it actually came with nitrous from the factory (honestly it was still pretty slow)

Like jim said, you certainly cant use it all ***** nilly on the street. Waste of $$$ pretty quick.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2009 Eleanor
Did you enjoy the nitrous or wish you had just supercharged it? How often were you spraying and having to fill up?
I'm pretty sure it illegal in md so I would be running the risk of getting caught. But, if I am saving a ton of money by using nitrous, then I will have a ton of money to pay off a ticket if I get caught. That is what I am thinking, any more input would be great!
There is no need to SC it as it is/was already a Turbo Diesel. I sprayed it very little on the street, maybe one 15# bottle over a week. I refilled it for every trip to the track and it netted me about a full second in the 1/4, which is pretty BA in my opinion for an 8000# truck. I paid like $500 for the full NX Stacker II system and maybe $2-300 in nitrous before I decided to stop spraying it.

Damn....almost forgot about my Neon that I had set up with a Zex dry kit years ago. Jetted it for a 55 shot and that made a BIG difference to that 2L DOHC 150hp motor. We're talking back in 2001-2002, so I really didn't know too much about Nitrous and I blew that motor pretty quick running a reprogrammed AF/X computer with a LOT of advanced timing....like a moron. The one night that it worked great I suprised a LOT of people. I miss my little Kenny.

Last edited by Ditty; 03-27-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM
jtgerik

I'm not a fan of Nitrous.. that being said, in certain applications it has it's use. Namely track beasts, already built to the gills <For Nitrous Application> looking to squeak out that last -1 sec/10mph.. etc. They do offer big gains for a lower price initially.. but over time, repeated use they will in the long run cost you $$ aside filling the jug, even properly spec'd kits still push the limits of stock internals, they simply were not designed to handle that sort of abuse. In so far as a Daily Driver goes, Superchargers are the most reliable power adder with stock components. turbos being a close second. They are costly upfront. but properly installed either can be virtually bulletproof. Offer a consistent power increase, <see go fast happy smiles every time you stomp on it, without worrying about an EXTRA $4/lbs> can even increase efficiency when not moshed constantly and correctly tuned. My two cents, save your pennies, pick a SC/Turbo set up you like, and ultimately you'll be far more happier.

Quick Reply: Nitrous on DD??