Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

fuel pressure safety switch... and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 PM
1bossgt

Default fuel pressure safety switch... and other questions

So what are some of your opinions on fuel pressure safety switches? I have the NX switch for my 2011 GT which I will be putting the NX plate kit in with a 100 shot, but should I sell the switch and just go with the aeroforce gauge with the fuel pressure sensor(which I'm getting either way)? The reason I'm asking is because I have been seeing threads on other various car forums, pretty much none that are mustang forums, that either say use them because they're a cheap insurance policy for the engine but others say they're junk and sometimes cut the nitrous flow for no reason and I'm just looking for a definitive answer.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM
1bossgt

and screw it I'm gonna repost this too:

1. Does anyone think the nitrous express nitrous harness would be worth it or should the wiring just be done normally?

Link for the harness: http://www.nitrousexpress.com/15492-...r-mustang.html

2. I also want to get a switch panel and the only one I can find is the nitrous outlet panel and I keep seeing that there products are a tad suspect so does anyone know of a different one or should I just go with that one?

Also I've never done any wiring in my life so honestly it intimidates the hell out of me which is why the harness looks nice... but I'm going to be going to school in a couple weeks and since I will be installing it there I will have a ton of help.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

In my nitrous experience, things CAN and WILL go wrong, so I would definitely run the fuel pressure safety switch.

On the wiring harness, for $150, idk if I would do it, though I have a pretty large amount of wiring experience with cars and trucks. For someone like yourself that doesn't have any wiring experience, it might be worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about a switch panel. There is a little panel that is removable in the center console. I would use that or maybe do something creative in the glove box to hide the switches. I'm a big fan of keeping everything out of sight.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM
1bossgt

Originally Posted by Ditty
In my nitrous experience, things CAN and WILL go wrong, so I would definitely run the fuel pressure safety switch.

On the wiring harness, for $150, idk if I would do it, though I have a pretty large amount of wiring experience with cars and trucks. For someone like yourself that doesn't have any wiring experience, it might be worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about a switch panel. There is a little panel that is removable in the center console. I would use that or maybe do something creative in the glove box to hide the switches. I'm a big fan of keeping everything out of sight.
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about it and I'm probably not gonna do the harness because when I put it in I'm going to have a lot of professional help so I'll be good. With the switch panel I'm 99% sure I'm putting it in the center console and if I do decide do do a panel its going to be the one from nitrous outlet. I was about one email away from getting a Speed of Sound cup holder one(the panel isn't listed on their website), Alan emailed me saying they have prototypes for the 2010+ Mustangs and he would make me one but they only fit cars with the illuminated ring in the cup holder and since I have a base model I don't have that ring.

http://nitrousoutlet.com/nitrous-out...tch-panel.html

That's the switch panel, I just like the clean look of it and the engraving.

As for the fuel pressure safety switch, it's preset at 35 psi, I'm pretty sure the stock fuel pressure is 55 psi. Do you think I should adjust it or leave it as it is because I don't want it cutting the nitrous on and off?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Actually, I forgot about that switch panel. I like that one. It just pops right in. $70 is sort of steep for me, but it does make things a little easier.

Yes, I would adjust it, but you should talk to your tuner about it when you get your nitrous tune done.

(You hadn't mentioned it, but getting a custom tune for the spray is pretty much mandatory for running on spray.)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
1bossgt

Actually, I forgot about that switch panel. I like that one. It just pops right in. $70 is sort of steep for me, but it does make things a little easier.

Yes, I would adjust it, but you should talk to your tuner about it when you get your nitrous tune done.

(You hadn't mentioned it, but getting a custom tune for the spray is pretty much mandatory for running on spray.)
Yeah I know, I'm most likely going to get it dyno tuned once its in, and if I have to wait a while before I can get it dyno tuned I'm gonna run a Bama tune in the mean time.

I'm gonna get the panel but my only issue with it was I read on some forum that it doesn't really fit in place but idk if that was just a bad panel or whatever and if it doesn't fit well for me ill figure it out.

I do have a window switch, colder plugs, blow down tube, bottle heater and gauges so I am trying to make this as safe for the car as it possibly can be but I just happened to read a few threads from other forums(not mustang) that were basically saying these fpss suck pretty bad and I just wanted to get some mustang guys opinions.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest looking around and talking to a few tuners in the area that work on Coyote motors and have the nitrous tune made before trying it on the street. I wouldn't trust just a mail-order tune for a nitrous system.

Bama does well with their stuff and they are awesome (so I hear) with revising tunes from data-logs; but tuning for nitrous without the car is not a risk I would take. Just my .02.

I've popped a motor many, many years ago due to my own stupidity with nitrous and wish I had half of the knowledge that I have now, and that I hadn't tried to do it on a budget. (Sure was fun blowing the doors off of everyone before the #1 piston decided to deposit itself into the oil pan in the first night!)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 PM
1bossgt

I would suggest looking around and talking to a few tuners in the area that work on Coyote motors and have the nitrous tune made before trying it on the street. I wouldn't trust just a mail-order tune for a nitrous system.

Bama does well with their stuff and they are awesome (so I hear) with revising tunes from data-logs; but tuning for nitrous without the car is not a risk I would take. Just my .02.

I've popped a motor many, many years ago due to my own stupidity with nitrous and wish I had half of the knowledge that I have now, and that I hadn't tried to do it on a budget. (Sure was fun blowing the doors off of everyone before the #1 piston decided to deposit itself into the oil pan in the first night!)
Ok then I'll wait for the dyno tune. I see you live in Maryland and on Monday I'll be living in south east PA, Exton to be exact so were semi close, unless you live deep in Maryland. Do you know/recommend any tuners around that area(I don't mind driving that much). I know Evolution and Tillman are like 20 minutes away from me.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I'm in Baltimore City. I have a friend that works at Revolution Automotive in Northern Baltimore. They are pretty good. They do a LOT of turbo systems on mustangs and engine swaps. When the time comes, they'll be doing a lot of the work that I can't here at the house.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:35 PM
1bossgt

Awesome, I'll check them out when it's that time. I appreciate all the help.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure safety switch... and other questions