Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Pipes, Boost & Juice
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
iamzatch
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang v6 (soon!)
Default Exhaust in Emissions State?

I'll soon be the owner of a new 3.7. That being said, my first modification is going to be exhaust, but I'm not exactly sure what I can do because I live in Colorado, a state that does emissions testing.

Now, I'm not exactly versed in exhaust, so bear with me.

However, my general understanding is, from the engine comes the exhaust header, followed by h-pipe, followed by cats, followed by various piping (including resonators) and finally mufflers.

I'd like to run the Borla Atak exhaust, either cat-backs or axle-backs. If I am correct at the placement of the resonators, will purchasing the cat-backs give me a resonator/silencer free exhaust system? And is this legal in my state?

What about long tubes, and o/r x-pipes? Can I even do these in my state?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
iamzatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Stang-Nator

Vehicle: 2006, Mustang, GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzatch View Post
I'll soon be the owner of a new 3.7. That being said, my first modification is going to be exhaust, but I'm not exactly sure what I can do because I live in Colorado, a state that does emissions testing.

Now, I'm not exactly versed in exhaust, so bear with me.

However, my general understanding is, from the engine comes the exhaust header, followed by h-pipe, followed by cats, followed by various piping (including resonators) and finally mufflers.

I'd like to run the Borla Atak exhaust, either cat-backs or axle-backs. If I am correct at the placement of the resonators, will purchasing the cat-backs give me a resonator/silencer free exhaust system? And is this legal in my state?

What about long tubes, and o/r x-pipes? Can I even do these in my state?
Without cats (o/r pipes) your car wouldn't pass inspection. I'm pretty sure long tubes do not either. I wouldn't even bother with any o/r pipe, because v6 mustangs sound bad to me without the cats, I would just change the axle backs, with a dual x pipe kit.

Dual x pipe kit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-v6-xpipe-0510.html

You can get any GT axleback with this, I would get anything that has a muffler. Straight through pipes wouldn't sound really good with a v6, do you want that loud ricer bumble bee sound? Or a decent rumble like a v8?

I would get this for a good rumble sound:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-2011v6.html

Or this just to be loud:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...mb-1113v6.html

If you do decide to take the cats off, the pype bombs would be very loud and very bad sounding without cats. I would keep the cats on.. Hope this helps
Stang-Nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang V6

The '14 V6 comes with dual exhaust starting with the cats, x pipe, mid pipes and axle backs. If you keep your cats, the rest shouldn't matter as far as inspection goes. Getting just axle backs will give you a nice sound. Sounds vary widely with different ABs though from loud to very loud.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement