Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

5.0 supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Tiny-Tim

Default 5.0 supercharged

Hi all. I have 95 GT and I am wanting to supercharge it and convert it to a manual any suggestions on superchargers and trannys?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Tremec makes a nice heavy duty T5 trans look up zspec trans.

With out any kind of info to go by I have to assume your engine is still stock?

As for super charging it, I am not that knowlegable but , I would assume you would be wasting your money on a stock engine. Supporting mods first would be better, ie, heads, cam , intake. You can only force as much air in to a moter as it can exhaust out. Stock heads/intake would be killing it.

How ever Vortech makes a supercharger specifically with the stock configuration in mind. You may want to check out American Muscle to order one.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...er-9495v8.html

But that 3,700 bucks could be put to better use IMO.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k514-360350b this kit would save you substantially , and likely get you more power for your money. And becasue either way you go your likley going to need a dyno tune on that 95, as they are a finicky beast when it comes to mods.

A new trans is going to run you some where in the order of $1,500-$2,300 depending on whether you get a rebuilt or new on.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Stay with the auto they work better with boost. Been there done that many times. As for S/C any of the big 3 works well and are reliable. What is your build and budget how fast do you want to go or how much HP do you want to make?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Tiny-Tim

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Tremec makes a nice heavy duty T5 trans look up zspec trans.

With out any kind of info to go by I have to assume your engine is still stock?

As for super charging it, I am not that knowlegable but , I would assume you would be wasting your money on a stock engine. Supporting mods first would be better, ie, heads, cam , intake. You can only force as much air in to a moter as it can exhaust out. Stock heads/intake would be killing it.

How ever Vortech makes a supercharger specifically with the stock configuration in mind. You may want to check out American Muscle to order one.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...er-9495v8.html

But that 3,700 bucks could be put to better use IMO.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k514-360350b this kit would save you substantially , and likely get you more power for your money. And becasue either way you go your likley going to need a dyno tune on that 95, as they are a finicky beast when it comes to mods.

A new trans is going to run you some where in the order of $1,500-$2,300 depending on whether you get a rebuilt or new on.
My engine is stock, but it is the High Output engine which I have been told was built to withstand somewhat major adjustments. Also I dont know anyone that does tuning on the OBD1 engines so do you have any ideas? preferably someone in Texas.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Tiny-Tim

Originally Posted by uedlose
Stay with the auto they work better with boost. Been there done that many times. As for S/C any of the big 3 works well and are reliable. What is your build and budget how fast do you want to go or how much HP do you want to make?
I am trying to stay under 5K but I understand that it may take more. Also do you think the AODE is strong enough to handle around 500HP (what I'm aiming for)?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

At 500 Hp you are pushing that block to the very edge of its limits. You would need a dyno tune regaurdless using a tunable after market chip like SCT or something..

The HO engine is not built any differently than a ordinary 5.0 they just have a little larger cam , and tuned a little different. Same roller block , same heads.

To use the kind of boost that would be needed to get you to 500 HP you would need an entirely new rotating assembly. Something from scat and forged.. Your rotating assembly in the 95 is cast and will not hold up to much boost. Youll need alot more than 5k to get the job done.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:01 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

the stock AODE will need some upgrades to handle 500 HP. But a good rebuild with quality bands and clutches and a good shift kit it will be fine.
You dont need forged parts for 500 HP other then the pistons. I would do forged pistons for sure. But like said you are getting up there at 500 HP and a stock block. I would never put forged internals in a stock block and push the limits when it comes apart there goes all your good forged parts.
Forged parts in a stock block is like putting a bandage on a amputation other then forged pistons. IMO. just remember at 500 HP you are building a bomb and it is not if it blows but when most of the time. I ran 14psi of boost on a stock block for 4 years 11 at the intake due to the intercooler moved it to 17 and that was a short life. and ran high 10s with it so it can be do. It was all stock short block other then the rod bolts and pistons. I have a customer doing the same thing with a all stock short block but the pistons.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:35 AM
Tiny-Tim

So what would be a good gameplan for me to get as much bang for my buck? I understand that building inside of a stock block is bad news so what could I do to upgrade my stock block to handle and still do good as far as hp to the ground? And uedlose, what S/C were you using?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:59 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Just because you have 500 HP dont mean you are gone to be using it all the time. Go ahead had build what you got. Get a S/C for your car bolt it on have it tuned and have fun. Just dont push the boost way up the pistons work Ok if you dont have any spark knock if you detonate it they will crack real fast. If I was gone to do it all over again I would have started with a 351 base engine more stroke from the get go and much stronger parts. But thats me. I dont run a S/C I have a turbo car. I use to run a Procharger p600b sold it to a friend now he runs it.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Tiny-Tim

Originally Posted by uedlose
Just because you have 500 HP dont mean you are gone to be using it all the time. Go ahead had build what you got. Get a S/C for your car bolt it on have it tuned and have fun. Just dont push the boost way up the pistons work Ok if you dont have any spark knock if you detonate it they will crack real fast. If I was gone to do it all over again I would have started with a 351 base engine more stroke from the get go and much stronger parts. But thats me. I dont run a S/C I have a turbo car. I use to run a Procharger p600b sold it to a friend now he runs it.
Thanks for the input. I'll think about the 351 swap. If I were to build the engine up do you know of any links I could go to to do the tuning on the obd1? And also will the stock rear-end hold up? Im considering moving to posi if the diff wont hold up.

Quick Reply: 5.0 supercharged