Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Thinking Supercharger Until This Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84CopperGT
I have driven turbo and supercharged cars. I prefer the turbo all day long. The guy in the video is an idiot, but then again it's Andy's Auto Sport that thinks changing out spark plug wires is actually good for horsepower. A turbo will make more power at the same boost level because it draws less power to make power. Honestly, centrifugal superchargers are just a turbo compressor with a belt, they lag down low and they almost always will.

I wouldn't argue the numbers, but I've seen twin turbo setups on Mustangs and they look a lot more complicated than a supercharger. All I can tell you is that I love the way my Roush Supercharger makes my car run. The H.P. approaches all that is useable for a driver. I think the beauty of a supercharger is how the car drives when my foot isn't in it. Of course we know there is always something faster.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I wouldn't argue the numbers, but I've seen twin turbo setups on Mustangs and they look a lot more complicated than a supercharger. All I can tell you is that I love the way my Roush Supercharger makes my car run. The H.P. approaches all that is useable for a driver. I think the beauty of a supercharger is how the car drives when my foot isn't in it. Of course we know there is always something faster.
A positive displacement supercharger almost always has boost available. Some people think a supercharger of any kind will have instant boost at all times. I haven't driven a PD or screw blower in a long time but they are fun and probably the most difficult to actually race with due to the boost hitting so fast.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:35 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

some of his generalities are way off. he basically described a PD blower as if it was a centrifical. he also said that peak hp at the same boost level will make about the same hp, thats way off. i have a friend with a KB on his new 5.0. 24# of boost and he make 984rwhp. the same motor at 24# psi from a turbo puts down about 1250rwhp.