Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Opinions on Turbo?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Aleksanteri

Default Opinions on Turbo?

So I've been looking heavily into turbo modifications for my 2014 V6 Mustang, never wanted to get the GT due to insurance costs.

But there's a Hellion single turbo kit for the V6 engine specifically for 6,300$
I'm wondering if it'd be considered worth it, if Hellion is a good choice of turbo etc. Any information you'd be willing to give me.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You didn't want a GT because it might run $10 more a month for insurance - but you are looking to drop $10,000+ for a turbo on your V6?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Aleksanteri

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
You didn't want a GT because it might run $10 more a month for insurance - but you are looking to drop $10,000+ for a turbo on your V6?
Well considering I'm 19 years old, and I already pay $1,700 every six months for insurance on a V6 the GT was definitely not a $10 increase.

I checked and the GT would have been about $2,200 for me to insure.
Plus realistically I'd have considered turboing the GT too.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:54 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aleksanteri
Well considering I'm 19 years old, and I already pay $1,700 every six months for insurance on a V6 the GT was definitely not a $10 increase.

I checked and the GT would have been about $2,200 for me to insure.
Plus realistically I'd have considered turboing the GT too.
Nearly $300/mo for insurance? You must have one hell of a record - or you need to shop around. That is a car payment!

I highly recommend you talk to a financial advisor or something...you are setting yourself up for huge problems.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:41 PM
JimC

I have a thread on the Hellion install in the S197 V6 section and over at Mustang Collective.

They don't tell you a lot of things - like the fact you need a GT exhaust from the collector back. Or if you have a Pony or MCA with fog lights that you can't put the fog light back in on the driver side.

And the tune that is supplied with the "100% complete ready to go kit" was junk and dangerous. The name "blow by racing" as the tuner is accurate because their tuning blows. It took 7 data logs to get a tune that we thought was ready.

Unfortunately the first WOT run to test it, broke something. I did a leak down test today and thought I had a compromised intake valve spring, but it is looking like it might be 2 chipped pistons instead - which means that the tune might have gone lean when I went WOT even though I never saw it on the AFR gauge.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

My inusurance is $1,200 every 6 months. $800 before I wrecked it, my own problem. But I'm grouped in with the rest of my family so my dad thinks that he's getting the best value since his been with this company for 15+ years. I'm 19 as well. It defiantly doesn't make things easy
Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Keep it real
My inusurance is $1,200 every 6 months. $800 before I wrecked it, my own problem. But I'm grouped in with the rest of my family so my dad thinks that he's getting the best value since his been with this company for 15+ years. I'm 19 as well. It defiantly doesn't make things easy

It's your money, but I would get some quotes. They are free and only take a few moments to do online.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Aleksanteri

It's your money, but I would get some quotes. They are free and only take a few moments to do online.
Actually my driving record is completely clean minus one speeding ticket, which was for 5 miles over.

It's just really expensive to insure nice cars at my age. I actually have looked around, and currently its the best I've found. It'll be a few years but then it'll drop down to 1300ish a month so long as my record remains clean.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 AM
Aleksanteri

Originally Posted by JimC
I have a thread on the Hellion install in the S197 V6 section and over at Mustang Collective.

They don't tell you a lot of things - like the fact you need a GT exhaust from the collector back. Or if you have a Pony or MCA with fog lights that you can't put the fog light back in on the driver side.

And the tune that is supplied with the "100% complete ready to go kit" was junk and dangerous. The name "blow by racing" as the tuner is accurate because their tuning blows. It took 7 data logs to get a tune that we thought was ready.

Unfortunately the first WOT run to test it, broke something. I did a leak down test today and thought I had a compromised intake valve spring, but it is looking like it might be 2 chipped pistons instead - which means that the tune might have gone lean when I went WOT even though I never saw it on the AFR gauge.
So at this point my question is, would you ever recommend it? Or are there other ways I can get a real nice HP boost for my V6 without needing to get a GT?

So far all i've really found is that Hellion kit, and judging from what you've said that 6300$ kit turns into an easy 9-10 grand if you had a mechanic tune it, etc.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Actually, I can't leave this company for another 5-6 months. After a previous wreck drops. I think it stays on your insurance for 3 years. My previous two were 3 years ago and the one in my car now was 2 years on thanksgiving. I've tried the online ones and they said $1600+ every 6 months so no thank you. We are goin to check after the wrecks drop off for cheaper prices

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on Turbo?