Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Default Another exhaust question

Ok so before any of you say, do a search. I have done some reviews and sound clip reviews. I know both pros and cons for x pipe and h pipe. I am about to pick up a catless x pipe. I had an h pipe to flowmasters before. Right now I am running stock catch pipe to dumps before exhaust or I can cut them off and run out the mad exhaust to the rear tail pipes. I want to do an or x pipe and keep my dumps before the mufflers. I want to eventually swap over to flow masters. I have heard some say x pipe and flows sound bad. Any input here guys is appreciated. I am also concerned. I am running a stock cobra motor with ford shorty headers. Will it be bad on motor to run an off-road x pipe and then straight out dumps before the mufflers? Like I said lately it sounds good running out the dumps because the mufflers and stock h pipe are too mild for me. But will it be too open and not have enough back pressure to run no cats and virtually no mufflers at times?

The owner before me put on electronic dumps that can be turned on and off with the push of a button on the dash pretty sweet actually.

I want it to sound good but not too ridiculous and do any damage to the motor. I thought I read before it is bad to run straight pipes off a stock motor. Only modified motors can run open headers.

Am I making any sense?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Only modified engines can make the most of an open exhaust, but you wont hurt it. It just wont make any real gains doing it.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I honestly am not looking for gains. I am looking for sound, enjoyment and overall experience. I bought this car to be a weekend warrior not a racer and no sense in trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of my engine if I can't enjoy it on the roadways. So not too worried about gains. Will an or x pipe into dumps and occasionally straight through flowmaster 2 chambers sound good?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Its a personal preference on sound. I personally don't like the sound of an open exhaust unless they run clear out the back. Even then its a bit loud for me. I couldn't even imagine open exhaust through dumps , but to each there own. FYI to me open exhaust sounds better with a cam in my opinion.