Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Homemade Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Sounds good to me, love to hear how it turns out!
Old 11-26-2014, 01:18 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

This is definitely worth following.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:58 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84CopperGT
This is definitely worth following.
Haha, thanks. Hopefully the results turn out alright.
Unfortunately I won't even begin to think about starting any fabrication before December 12. I do have my steel ordered already. Over the course of the next week I'll be ordering most of the other stuff probably.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Interesting, I'll watch this for updates.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:11 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Question. For those wiser than I.

Which years tail pipes will physically fit on a new edge?

I mean just the pipe. Don't worry about the hangers, I can handle that. I mean the pipe fits over the axle and out the back.

I'm seeing 2.5" mandrel bent tail pipes for 86-93 and I think I'd almost rather buy a set of those than chop up my current catback and buy bends and clamps and everything else. It wouldn't be that much more money in the long run and it would be a hell of a lot nicer.

I think I read somwhere about somebody putting the tail pipes from like a '98 or a '02 on a '91 or something without any trouble other than changing the hangers. That would be fine by me.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

New find! Check these out:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...s-8697-v8.html

From I'm seeing on other forums, all that would be necessary is to change one hanger. NO BIG DEAL. For the price, and it being stainless and mandrel bent it seems like a heck of a deal. The Flowmaster ones I was looking at were $140 and just aluminized, and they weren't intended for sn95 at all.

Still looking to see if anyone knows for sure.

These would sure make things a lot easier.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Well everything is ordered for the new setup! Ended up ordering the above tailpipes from AM. Everything I've read says the only difference is there is an extra muffler hanger and the rear hangers are different on 98+. I've made and modified hangers for exhaust on several occasions so I'm not super worried about this.

Even ordered new tips. Current tips are Magnaflow 2.5"->4" x 18" angle cut. New tips are the same except they have a rolled edge and are not Magnaflow. I didn't care so much for the not rolled look, and I didn't care to have Magnaflow stamped on the tips when they were the only thing Magnaflow on the whole car.

Received my o/r H from Summit. It had a dent on one of the male flanges, so I have to send that back for a new one.

Genius who owned the car before me put headers with a 3" collector on the car. So whoever installed the exhaust welded a 3"->2.5" reducer to the end. Well that made the mounting point on the headers further back, so when they went to install the BBK catted X they just cut the flanges off and welded it to the reducer. My plan is to cut out the reducer, cut off a portion of the collector, reweld the reducer in with a male flange welded to at at the proper length so midpipes can just be bolted in. Although an easier way would be to just shorten my H, as I will now have both an H and an X, and midpipes are cheaper than those Hooker headers... Aaaand, the female flanges on the H I received didn't have much flare to them anyways, so that might be the way I go--haven't decided. I bought several male and female ball and socket flanges off Summit also.

As previously stated, I plan on making several videos documenting the results of this process. I even want to make videos showing the difference between tips and no tips. I read somewhere someone used tips very close to the same size I'm using and took before and after decibel meter readings. They claimed it was 15% louder with tips. I'm skeptical about that. The only way I see it could be louder with the tips is if the "no tips" were a restriction in the exhaust previously--and I don't see that happening. More what I think happened is the tips just directed the sound more towards the decibel meter so it read a higher "acoustic density?". I'm not fresh on acoustics however, so anyone please feel free to chime in and correct me.

As always: Questions? Comments? Fire away.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:37 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by unitedwestang
Question. For those wiser than I.

Which years tail pipes will physically fit on a new edge?

I mean just the pipe. Don't worry about the hangers, I can handle that. I mean the pipe fits over the axle and out the back.

I'm seeing 2.5" mandrel bent tail pipes for 86-93 and I think I'd almost rather buy a set of those than chop up my current catback and buy bends and clamps and everything else. It wouldn't be that much more money in the long run and it would be a hell of a lot nicer.

I think I read somwhere about somebody putting the tail pipes from like a '98 or a '02 on a '91 or something without any trouble other than changing the hangers. That would be fine by me.
I think 79-04 are the same pipes with just different hanger locations.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:34 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Finally got the new H-pipe in and had time to install it. I ended up welding flanges to the adapters already on the header collector and cutting the h-pipe to length. Worked well. Here's a video of the comparison. Now to just get rid of those Flowmasters....

Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

So you are already to work on the new mufflers?

Quick Reply: Homemade Mufflers