Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Homemade Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:47 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Haha I was waiting for someone to say that. I'm getting there. I have everything sitting in my basement for it. I've just had a bunch of other projects I had to get done before Christmas since I moved back from kc. They WILL get done and I will update here throughout the process. Sorry it's taking so long, I'm just really busy at the moment.

Even once I get the mufflers made I still have to hang my new tail pipes (which will require new hangers)and make custom flow tubes to line everything up.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Starting on some baffles today! Obviously this isn't complete, but you get the picture...

I couldn't find a local supplier for the perforated steel, and I sure wasn't shelling out the ridiculous coin online companies want for actual baffles when I'm just making "test" mufflers more or less. Ending up getting enough of this steel for all my mufflers off eBay for about the same price as one actual baffle online.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Baffles are done. If you remember back to the two designs I plan on making, one set of mufflers will use about one of these baffles per each muffler. The other set will only require about half, so one will be cut in half and used for two mufflers.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Took the Flowmaster catback out this morning and am working on fitting the new tailpipes. Just holding them up in place it looks like the bends are right for a new edge. I don't know if you can see in the picture though: I need to add an additional hanger right behind the muffler and change the hanger at the tips on both sides. Just as I had thought from what I had read previously.

After I get the tailpipes hung with the new tips, then I will work on making the flow tubes. I've got two 90* bends that I plan on cutting into whatever angles I need to weld to the end of the flow tubes and to the beginning of the new tailpipes to make them in line with each other so as to be able to swap any straight through muffler.

Then muffler construction can begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:03 PM
IB RTEST

Nice, and uploaded from nexus
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Everything tailpipe wise is welded and ready to go back up. Next step: flow tubes.

Also let me take a moment to speak to the quality of the SR Performance tailpipes from AmericanMuscle. These things are great. I mean it wasn't too bad installing them on a car they aren't even technically meant for. The bends are spot on. They fit very nice and I now have more clearance in places with them than I did with the Flowmaster catback. Plus they are 304 stainless steel (I checked with a magnet too, no attraction). I have zero complaints about the quality especially for the price!!!
The tips are Flo-Pro stainless tips I bought of eBay. Also 304 stainless (also tested with magnet -- good to go).

Last edited by unitedwestang; 01-08-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:41 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Went to the local muffler shop to get some pipe. I've got the geometry of the flow tubes figured out but I'm going to need something to fill the gap between the flow tubes and tail pipes when I finish weld things in place. So until mufflers are made. .. that means straight pipes.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:03 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Finished the exhaust (aside from the mufflers). Started it up and leak free!
You can see the straight section of pipe I have in temporarily until I make mufflers next week.

Doing this has made me wonder how exhaust shops can knock out a custom exhaust in a day...

Again, don't mind the dirty car...
Can't exactly wash it in below zero wind chills...

Also, I apologize since I said I would like to do it earlier, but I won't be making any videos documenting tips vs no tips. Not many new edges run no tips anyway (I guess sn95s do though). But since a hanger is on the tips it would have made it a real pain to rig up something to be able to swap out just to make a video. So. Sorry.

Finally. So glad I went with rolled tips. I hated just the cut look of the Magnaflow tips that were on there but wasn't sure if I'd like rolled edges either. But after putting it on, rolled ftw.

Last edited by unitedwestang; 01-10-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:00 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Most exhaust shops "custom" exhausts are legitimately so bad they cost HP from ****ty bends and are not worth the cost.

You have to put some videos with the straight pipes....because racecar
Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84CopperGT
Most exhaust shops "custom" exhausts are legitimately so bad they cost HP from ****ty bends and are not worth the cost.

You have to put some videos with the straight pipes....because racecar
Haha I can do that. It's definitely not something I think I would ever go back to though. Last night when I started it up and have it a little rev it was obnoxiously loud with zero tone.
Don't get me wrong, I like loud, but it still has to sound good. My 2001 Suzuki sv650 is straight piped and I love it and get compliments on how it sounds. But this car, not so much. I'll keep the straight sections handy in case I ever get a wild hair though

Quick Reply: Homemade Mufflers