Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Methanol question in relation to raising boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Gluck Hunter

Default Methanol question in relation to raising boost

Was wondering if anyone knows how much more boost you can run on higher compression motors with 100% methanol. I see that people running 50/50 mix are able to squeeze out an additional 3-4 psi (using a stock 2v CR as a baseline). My CR is roughly 10:1 (forged steel) and I just ordered a Kenne Bell 3.2LC mammoth. My tuner is confident I can run 15-20 PSI just fine with meth and at least 15 on just pump gas (93 oct). I'm a little scared because every source says safety net is 12 psi max at 9.5:1 CR on 93 (no aids). That said, I see many examples of folks with higher CR and high boost with no issues. In fact, I can't really find examples were things go wrong just a lot of hear say. Sort of like when people told me not to run 100% meth though I've run it for years with no issues in my old Saleen Series IV blower and increased my 1/4 mile time by 3/4 of a second with 100% vs no meth.

Please give me your own real world experience and not speculation because I may be inclined to debunk your theory on the track (I accel at doing this).

Lastly - I was wondering if running 100 octane with 100% meth would yield better results or even more power than running 93 octane with meth. Can't find anyone who does it. All other forums involve people deciding between high octane or meth but not both.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:26 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

There is no "SET" amount of additional boost you can run with the addition of meth. Every forced induction system produces a different amount of pounds per minute of air. The thing to do is start tuning at a safe level of boost and keep bumping up timing until your Air/Fuel guage starts to show lean or better yet tune on a dyno so all engine perameters can be monitored. Your tuner should know all of this,and I doubt he would provide you with a tune that would be dangerous to your motor. You'll know exactly how much boost you can run once you see the dyno graph! Methanol has an octane rating of about 105 so it won't really matter if you run 100 octane vs 93! Obliviously you'll make more power on a race gas tune vs. a pump gas tune but are you will to pay for the luxury of race gas 24-7? Just make sure your fuel system is up to the task of such a big blower.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 04-28-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Gluck Hunter

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
There is no "SET" amount of additional boost you can run with the addition of meth. Every forced induction system produces a different amount of pounds per minute of air. The thing to do is start tuning at a safe level of boost and keep bumping up timing until your Air/Fuel guage starts to show lean or better yet tune on a dyno so all engine perameters can be monitored. Your tuner should know all of this,and I doubt he would provide you with a tune that would be dangerous to your motor. You'll know exactly how much boost you can run once you see the dyno graph! Methanol has an octane rating of about 105 so it won't really matter if you run 100 octane vs 93! Obliviously you'll make more power on a race gas tune vs. a pump gas tune but are you will to pay for the luxury of race gas 24-7? Just make sure your fuel system is up to the task of such a big blower.
Yep, figured that out last week since I also had this thread on Corral. They had more feedback so now I'm tracking what you just said. I was going to run the Torco Accelerator with 93 to achieve 100 octane at 15 bucks a tank but I realize now that it's not necessary. Thanks for the feedback though.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:56 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Lottta good info. on Corral.