Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Slow 1/4 mile times for hp produced, need ideas?

Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Stang300

Default Slow 1/4 mile times for hp produced, need ideas?

Hi guys,

So ive got a concern about the setup that i have and the times that im able to make at the track.

So the car is a 99 GT convertible 5spd
mods are
-V2 vortech supercharger 3.33 pulley 10psi
-38psi injectors
-upgraded fuel pump(unsure of brand), with MSD Boost a pump box
-3 core air to air
- blow thru MAF(slot style with a mafia)
-upper intake
-stock manifolds, catless x pipe, flowmaster 40s
-373 rearend, upgraded axles(unsure of manufacture)
-rolling on 315\35-17s rear and 275\45-17s front, cobra replica wheels

Anyways the car did well on the dyno

395 whp\ 375wtq

And the best ive been able to pull in the 1/4mile is 13.0!??
That is with a good launch on street tires with no spin and shifting at 6000rpm

something doesnt seem right, even when i tell the guy who tuned my car the times he figures it should be low 12s, and looking at everyone elses times with similar numbers or even quite a bit less im scratching my head with my car?

so is there something that i am doing wrong? should i be shifting later?

i have checked the brakes for drag and there is a slight drag on the front brakes, but i can still get the car rolling pushing it by hand.

kinda lost here, def expected better for what im running

suggestions? thoughts?

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

you need to log your IAT, if its hot out, and your IAT gets up there while staging and waiting in line at the track, your tune will pull timing, and this will result in lower power and slower times. adding water/meth injection can help with this, if this is your issue. your hp and torque seem a bit low for the boost you are running. you may have some room to advance your timing, and play with your tune.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Stang300

Ok thanks for the reply,

So what u are saying is i am prob heat soaking while sitting in the staging lane, i do ttry to keep the car turned off as long as possible and push it by hand.

I am running all steel piping for the charged air so maybe that could be another prob?

It def runs alot better when it is cool out thats for sure.

When the guy tuned it, he told me that he didnt go too crazy on the timing just for reliability, so would u suggest i bump the timing up a bit? and at what range would u say i should do so?

with the water meth kit do u think i would have to get the car tuned for it? or would it just be basically compensating for the timing loss?

and 395whp was made at 6100rpm i believe, at 10 psi, so at the track i may only be seeing 8-9 psi, not sure dont have time to check the gauge lol.

i def dont like the vortech for the reason that it has to be reved all the way out to make any power!

So back to IAT, what would u say is a high IAT? where should i be at?

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-23-2016, 08:10 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i would try to stay under 130 for iat, the water/meth will cool the charge and lower the iat, you can also tune for it and add more timing due to the added octane effect of the water/meth, the problem with doing that is if the injection stops you will get detonation that will destroy the engine before you can get off the throttle. so unless this is a dedicated race car, i suggest against tuning for water/meth. adding a electric fan to your heat exchanger may help with iat and heat soak as well.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Just curious what the time slip looks like for 60 ft times and trap speed at the 1/8 and 1/4 marks? Are you trapping at over 110mph in the quarter at 13 seconds? You'll be able to run quicker with stickier tires.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Stang300

ok well im gonna try to plug my programmer in and see if i can watch the IAT while i drive and see where its at, i have a Diablo tuner that it had gotten tuned with.

if it is too high then i guess water/meth might be the way to go. What is the mixture u would suggest running, ive heard of straight water, blue washer fluild, or washer fluid and methlhydrate mix?

And to answer the question on trap speed, i will have to grab the slip when i get home to verify, 60ft unsure? 1/4 mile was right about 107mph.
I dont doubt that street drags would improve the time but to basically shave at least .5 second off doesnt seem like the tires would do that? idk maybe that is the key?

But just compairing What people say they get for times on street tires with 50hp less kinda just has me baffled?

But if my IAT is way to high and retards the timing a bunch and i lose 50-100hp then that kinda puts me where im at, just seems kinda strange cuz there isnt alot of power diff between the highway and drag strip.

i will try to remember to grab my slip and post the times and see what u guys think.

also our altitude here is 2200ft, 671m

Tim
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i buy methanol in 5 gal buckets for $34 from a local supplier, i then mix it at home 50/50 with distilled water, this 50/50 mix is the best all around mix, you get the cooling effect of the meth and the quench effect of the water. snow sells their bottled fluid, for $8 per gal, with by mixing it at home it costs me $3.40 per gallon
Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Stang300

Old 08-24-2016, 08:04 PM
Stang300

So I took a pic of my 1/4mile pass, see if it pulls up.

See what u guys think of it, my time is on the left under Wagner.

Tim
Old 08-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Stang300

Any other ideas?
I did put the picture of the time slip up, are u able to see it?

Tim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slow 1/4 mile times for hp produced, need ideas?