Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Bolt-On Supercharger?

Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 AM
nitola

Default Bolt-On Supercharger?

I´m looking for a ready-to-bolt-on supercharger for my ´96 GT Convertible (4.6). Looking for much, much more HP´s...Any recommendations? Should include everything...
Old 12-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Bolt-On Supercharger?

For maximum top end power - what you seem to want -- the Procharger kits are hard to beat. They and the Vortech are centrifugal SCs and that makes a bit more power up top. Of the two I prefer the Procharger, because the "SC" in a model name means self-piling -- with the Vortech kits you have to run oil lines to the SC from the oil pan - more work and more to break.

Anyway, the two Procharger kits I have working with were very well make and worked well.

A screw (modified Roots) type such as an Eaton M-90 or Whipple will make more low end torque and not quick as much HP, and may have clearance problems under the hood depending.

Either way, buy a kit with everything, and if you can afford it, buy a kit with intercoolers, and don't go with a non-intercooled model.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 AM
nitola

Hi! And thank you for your reply. The only problem I have now that I live in Finland and I´d like to know what would be the best place to buy the Procharger with intercooler. I mean best prices and most helpful people to advice if any questions occur. Any estimated costs of the whole sytem?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:11 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i love the fact that the vortech taps the oil pan. alls you do is change your car's oil and your vortech oil is changed. less overall maintenance on a vortech. pro charger is cheaper for what you actually get. an intercooled pro charger kit costs about the same as a non-aftercooled vortech. both are really good superchargers. get whatever one you get the best deal on. you won't be disappointed with either.

you could get a KB, those cost some big bucks. they sound cooler when you get on the gas, but all that low end power would make me shat myself.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

I'd buy it over the Internet, so it will make no difference where you live - they will ship it to you.

I would start by checking out all the sponsors of this site. They pay to advertise, so why not patronize them. I would think one or more must sell the Procharger kit, although I haven't checked. If you, just Google "Procharger", "ATI" and so forth and you will get gobs of sites that want to sell them to you.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i love the fact that the vortech taps the oil pan. alls you do is change your car's oil and your vortech oil is changed. less overall maintenance on a vortech.

I never considered the Vortech because of the possibility of a failure - leak - in the oiling to it. If it leaks you could lose the oil for the engine and the first sign you'd have would be falling oil pressure -- and its often too late at that point.

With the Procharger, its ne one thing to check (that the oil level it is is full), but one less thing to go wrong.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:17 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i have never heard of anyone getting a leak because the vortech wasn't properly tapped. i can't recall vortech ever even having a bad rep for anything on their superchargers and then having to clean up their act and make their name known again for good products.

i'm not saying pro charger is bad, i just think saying you have to tap your oil pan for a vortech is bad and that you should stay away from them because of that.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

i love the fact that the vortech taps the oil pan. alls you do is change your car's oil and your vortech oil is changed.
Another potential problem with Vortech's system is that if you get contaminates in the oil, those contaminated go into the blower as well. I'm not saying Vortech's system is bad. It's not. But, as Lee said, with Procharger's system, it's just one less issue to potentially worry about. I have a Procharger on my 01, and it takes me about 10 minutes to change the blower oil.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

it takes me 0 minutes to change my blowers oil.

plus, i got mine professionally installed, so the work is guarenteed or they break it they buy it. if you know what you're doing and you're smart about doing it, then i don't see that problem. if you start tapping the oil pan with oil still in it or something, you deserve to have your car driven off a cliff.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

I think the Vortech and the Procharger are pretty comparable. I know people satsified with both.

But remember I have a cast aluminum pan on my vette and I was worried about both tapping that casting (was it thick enough to take a good set of threads? Would it fatigue and work loose?) and also the possibility of any plumbing working lose. I did have a friend who used steel lines to his Vortex and one of them cracked. I think he did that himself when he was using the tubing bender. But in my opinon it was just one less thing to worry about. I've changed the oil on mine only once and it was easy, so that is no big deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bolt-On Supercharger?