Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Borla Stingers/Bassani X Install Progress

Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Default Borla Stingers/Bassani X Install Progress

Got my Borla Stingers and my Bassani catted X today, will hopefully install it all tomorrow, all in one sitting. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I just hope the Mach sounds HAWT after this....
Old 01-21-2006, 12:58 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: Borla Stingers/Bassani X Install Progress

did you open up the stingers and then fist the tail pipes

i did when i got it, i was amazed at how big the tips look not installed on the car
granted they still look large, they fit cleanly and not awkwardly like they feel when you are holding them

good luck, hope you shart when you start the car up
Old 01-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

I don't think these will be nearly as loud as the setup I have on my GT, lol, so I doubt I'll shart.

But fu*k yeah! I opened up the box, picked up the tips and...holy mother of shat! Nice...

I also forgot that the Bassani X are modular, both off road and catted. I can get away with having off road pipes here...should I? Will it add significant power? Will it be too loud? I've never personally heard or seen an o/r pipe of any kind....
Old 01-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Install is done. I ended up having to take it to a shop, I couldn't get the damn bolts off where the stock H was connected to the manifold. The shop even had a hard time with an impact wrench. Pisses me off, wanted to do it on my own. Eh, only cost me $60. Whatever.

I completely forgot to get the extension harness for the 02 sensors. I'll have to order them...will not get them for at least 5 days, sucks. Nonetheless, drove it from the shop to the apartment, about 2 1/2 miles, and no CEL came on. Weird, I expected it. Anyway, the instructions said the CEL might come on even with the harness...I thought that to be strange, since i did not put the racing pipes on (thought about it...shop said they would go "have a cigarette" if I wanted to put the o/r pipes on, lol). Anyway...

The Borla/Bassani combo sounds NICE. It's not as loud as the full SLP setup on my GT, but it's deeper, I like it. The roads are too nasty so I couldn't get her up to speed to see if there was any kind of noticeable gains...I know there is, but I can't even get a seat of the pants feeling without opening her up.

I'll get the harness in a few days and that will complete it...other than that, all done!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 AM
72MachOne99GT

yea, its gotta be pretty quiet with the cats still intact

if youre not happy in that department, then get rid of them
im pretty sure it wont be too loud for your taste, it should alter the sound up high a bit too

what do you think of the tone though compared to slp?
its more,, i dont really like saying refined because that sounds weak, but in a certain way it is

there is more 'sound' than noise with the stingers, and its got a pretty nice burble at idle
(probably more profound with the 4V on the mach)

all things considered, which do you like better?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Honestly? Well, I should really reserve judgement till I can get the Mach on the road more, but...the Stingers. You hit it right on the head, refined is a good word. Plus I like the way the Stingers look. I'm happy with the Bassani X, too, and I can certainly appreciate the modular design.

I can't wait to get her on the freeway and open her up. I think the weather is going to clear up next week, so I'll do it then.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my SLP LM Is with X and LT headers. It's loud, too loud, but it's awesome. People definitely look my way. But the Borlas...hmmm....I dunno, they feel....gratifying.

<shrug>
Old 01-22-2006, 04:22 PM
72MachOne99GT

But the Borlas...hmmm....I dunno, they feel....gratifying.
just wait till you decide to swap out the o/r pipes, then you'll get both the gratifying sound, as well as high volume levels
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM
WAG03GT
3rd Gear Member

An o/r will def wake the car up, when i put mine on i was like damn