Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

WHY DOES MY SUPERCHARGER GET SO HOT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

Default WHY DOES MY SUPERCHARGER GET SO HOT?

I changed out to a 170 degree thermostat today and the temp was reading fine but i went and played around with it and i got it back to the garage and pop the hood and felt my supercharger and it burnt the $hit out of me..i have the pro series heat exchanger thats like twice the size of the stock one and have had in on for a few months now..what else can i do to cool this thing down?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:56 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: WHY DOES MY SUPERCHARGER GET SO HOT?

spray a 50 shot on it.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:40 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

what would a 50 shot do for me?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:56 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

well nitrogen is part of nitros oxide, and liquid nitrogen is cold enough to freeze off warts or give a person immediate frost bite. But I'm assuming you are looking for more of a long-term fix?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

well eatons are known get very hot
Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 AM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

a 50 shot of N20 on a S/C car is like running 100 shot of N20 on a N/A car. it will do 2 things for you...1: keep the SC cool and 2: give you 100 ponies.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:44 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

yea but I'm thinking he wants it to be cool at all times, not just while racing/driving hard. at $5 a pound, spraying a 50 would get pretty expensive pretty quick if he did it all day long
Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

A couple of points from someone who used to design these things (turbos, SCs) for a living. The SUPERCHARGER itself will get hot and there is not a lot you can do about it. Its just basic physics: when you pressurize air the result is heat, a lot of it in the case of pressurizing as much air as goes through a supercharger. So the SC gets hot. But its designed for that, so first point is don't worry. Second point is that you will not be able to cool the spercharger well by spraying nitrous or anything else on it. There is not enough surface area to remove heat from to make much difference. And spraying NOS on it could actually screw things up by cooling spots on it and stressing bearings in it, etc. Just let it get hot. It's designed for it. .

The reason you have intercoolers is to reduce temperature of the pressurized air after it comes out of the SC but before it gets to the engine. Let the SC get hot, just make sure the air entering the engine, after its passed through the intercooolers, is cool. On my 'vette I have Autometer intake temp gauges measuring air temp before and after the intercoolers. When I get on the boost the air temp going into the inercoolers is about 300, that coming out about 190.

You can spary NOS on the intercooler to improve its cooling, or ethanol, which is what I use (cheaper, just about as effetive). This reduces the air temp more (by about another 25 degrees in my case).
Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMafia

$5 a pound, spraying a 50 would get pretty expensive pretty quick if he did it all day long
HOLY COW !!!! in the USA it's about $2.50/lb. where the heck do you live?

btw...when i said "spray a 50 on it" i didn't mean literally on it..or through the blower....i meant to the motor to cool the charge.
i thought that would have been easily understood.....my bad.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mysticsvtcobra96

what would a 50 shot do for me?

What would a 50 shot do you you? I would say effectively put your engine on the floor -- you'd blow it up!

Quick Reply: WHY DOES MY SUPERCHARGER GET SO HOT?