Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

more bang, less bucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:30 PM
audioman

Default more bang, less bucks

<FONT size=2>I have a black 2003 3.8L V6 premium coupe and am looking for the cheapest way to get more power into my ride. I know it's not a 4.6, or 5.0L, but I'm 17 and this is my first car. I want my car to be a little more uniquethan all the other standard mustangs, so I've already taken the grill out and put in the "deleted" SVT grill. I've alsoinstalled a 300 watt amp and subwoofer enclosure in my trunk. Now I need more power. Ive looked at cold air intake systems anywhere from $100-$300, is this a good start? I want to knowif there is a way to get even more power without spending thousands of dollars. Please, I need a knowledgeable mustang veteran to give me all my options.</FONT>
Old 01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

only way to make those respectable without extensive workis forced induction and the onlykind cheap enough to make it worth doing is nitrous
Old 01-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Ftr-Speedy
2nd Gear Member

i don't know a whole bunch but i put CAI and a header on my 2.3L, for it being a 2.3L it really increased power, power increase is more in the high end area but still.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:52 PM
audioman

Thanks for the reply, but is there another alternative to nitrous.I would get nitrous if i could, but remember I'm only 17, and still under parental laws.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:54 PM
audioman

so is a CAI my best bet, anyone?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

only other thing i can think of is 4.10's with trac lock</P>

no. cai is not good. minimal gains</P><edited><editID>Jugador</editID><editDate>38015.8724421296</editDate></edited>
Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 PM
audioman

excuse my lack of knowledge, but what do 4.10's with trac lock do? what are they exactly and what kind of price am i looking at?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

4.10'swould berear end gears. they let the car gofaster but make you go a higher rpm than you used to at the same speed. trac lok i believe makes the differential limited slip or something...eliminates single wheel burnouts i think</P>
Old 01-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

well a CAI will do a few things for you... it will allow more air to be able to get to your TB (you'll see minimal gains in higher RPMs) but it will give you a little suction noise which I enjoy hearing... you've got to start somewhere... and if you go through ebay you can get a CAI kit with everything you need (almost) for like $50 shipped.</P>

When I say almost I mean you have two options... the crankcase hose you can either get a longer hose to make it reach the tube where it goes into the piping or you can run to autozone (what I did) and get a little $10 crankcase filter (any color you little heart desires) and use that with a vacuum cap on the piping.</P>

Other mods for someone with low funds would be a short shifter ~$125-$200... no power gain but it will allow you to get the the gear quicker, allowing for a faster (like 1/10th) 1/4 mile time. 25% UDPs (under drive pulleys) are one of the best ways for an NA car to take power from the belt and put it to the wheels... The rear seat delete kit will cost you ~$50 from ebay but watch that you don't get the cheap cardboard ones that fall apart as soon as you put any weight on them. That will drop ~40lbs off your total weight allowing for a better acceleration. Making the engine breath better with a true dual exhaust will give you a good base for future modifications. Intake spacers will do a litle (~9# of torque I think it was dynoed to). There are a lot of modifications you can do... you just have to go with whatever you want to do... don't let other people decide for you what you want to do with your car... do what you want to do.</P>

</P>

EDIT: oh yeah... I'm also taking into account that you're not a mechanic that can pull apart a pumpkin and replace the gears... or.... replace the entire pumpkin. If I'm wrong, good for you!</P><edited><editID>Krusher</editID><editDate>38015.8999768519</editDate></edited>
Old 01-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

gearswould be less than 500 bucks installed and romp all over those mods you said. trac lok would cost about 250 more</P>

PS dual exhaust really is not worth the loss of torque you would experience.</P><edited><editID>Jugador</editID><editDate>38015.9155439815</editDate></edited>

Quick Reply: more bang, less bucks