ROUSH Performance The premier manufacturer of high performance upgrade kits for Ford Mustangs. From powertrain, to handling, to styling, ROUSH provides industry-leading performance and quality.

Oil Separators???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM
JimC

It can be an issue with modified cars. Ford changed the Ecoboost this year because it was causing problems. I read of one guy who blew up, and it was traced to excess oil vapors through the PCV. He now has the 2016 modified PCV on his new engine, but because of the mods he had to replace the engine himself.

So it can cause a problem for your Roush. Will it for sure? Who knows, but the risk is there.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:30 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
It can be an issue with modified cars. I read of one guy who blew up, and it was traced to excess oil vapors through the PCV. He now has the 2016 modified PCV on his new engine, but because of the mods he had to replace the engine himself.

So it can cause a problem for your Roush. Will it for sure? Who knows, but the risk is there.
there again, the question is were the pcv vapors the cause, or was the engine huffing due to some other issue,( excessive blowby) and the excessive vapors only caused further problems. i could push mine past the breaking point, damage the pistons, cause excessive blowby, and then after it blew, focus on the pcv vapor being the cause, when it was just another symptom of the problem
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by jwog666
there again, the question is were the pcv vapors the cause, or was the engine huffing due to some other issue,( excessive blowby) and the excessive vapors only caused further problems. i could push mine past the breaking point, damage the pistons, cause excessive blowby, and then after it blew, focus on the pcv vapor being the cause, when it was just another symptom of the problem
Except in the case of the Mustang ecoboost, Ford did change the PCV because of the oil issue. So there must have been some connection, and 2015 non-modified ecoboosts are having issues; at least it appears so on Mustang6g site from what I see.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:12 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

from what i can tell by reading up on ecoboost issues, the concerns are caused by the combination fo pcv vapors, and the nature of a turbocharged inlet system, positive displacement superchargers do not have all of the tubing and volume of the CAC (carge air cooler) style system that is found on ecoboost/turbo applications. the failures described n the forum posts all seem to stem from the condensation of moisture in the intercooler (specifically 3.5 f150) that eventually slug the turbos and intake and cause damage. since the intercooler on positive displacement superchargers is inside the blower manifold and not external, there is virtually no chance that water will condense, accumulate ,and eventually slug the engine causing damage. that being said, i am a tech at a ford dealer, we sell and service LOTS of EB f150's. we have only seen 1 engine that has failed due to water ingestion, and that was caused by the customers off road activities lol. so i question the failure rate due to this concern as its represented in forums vs the number of vehicles in service.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:14 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum....ic,2142.0.html also found some info on catch can design that worth reading, it seems like most are designed poorly, read the first post for the write up.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:14 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Well, I guess the answer to my question is a definite "Who knows?" I don't think I'll worry about it!

I had a 2012 F150 Ecoboost & that had problems with getting water vapor into the intake & stalling out when driving a low RPM for a long period in high humidity such as towing a trailer in the rain. Not fun when pulling out in traffic in the rain pulling a travel trailer. No help from Ford to avoid liability, so who knows what to believe. Corporations seem to let their lawyers make the decisions as to what to tell customers! I asked a Ford Dealer & they never heard of such a thing.... even though Ford had a service bulletin out on it!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:00 AM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

It's not something we require or suggest customers to run on their cars after a blower install. If its something that makes you feel better I'd say go for it, however its not mandatory.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kyle@ROUSH
It's not something we require or suggest customers to run on their cars after a blower install. If its something that makes you feel better I'd say go for it, however its not mandatory.
You seem to be saying that you have not seen problems without using an oil separator at this time.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@ROUSH View Post

" You seem to be saying that you have not seen problems without using an oil separator at this time. "
In order to SEE problems, you have to remove the blower. This is where the oily mist winds up. ( intercooler )
Name:  intercoolerCAC2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  117.3 KB

Last edited by 1 Alibi 2; 04-28-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:16 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Quote:

" You seem to be saying that you have not seen problems without using an oil separator at this time. "
In order to SEE problems, you have to remove the blower. This is where the oily mist winds up. ( intercooler )

by "see problems" i think he means failures, and driveability issues. if the small amount of oil residue doesnt cause issues, then its not a problem.

Quick Reply: Oil Separators???