ROUSH Performance The premier manufacturer of high performance upgrade kits for Ford Mustangs. From powertrain, to handling, to styling, ROUSH provides industry-leading performance and quality.

Oil Separators???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum....ic,2142.0.html also found some info on catch can design that worth reading, it seems like most are designed poorly, read the first post for the write up.
besides, like is stated in this link i posted earlier(read the thread it describes why they dont work well), 99% of the catch cans on the market do a **** poor job of actually catching the majority of the vapor any way, so until i can find one that works well if seems like $100 for something that works poorly is a waste
Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

It is interesting that the cars at the Ford Performance Racing School do not use the oil separators, however all the cars at the GT350 Track Tour had them. Ford Legal mandated them I was told.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
It is interesting that the cars at the Ford Performance Racing School do not use the oil separators, however all the cars at the GT350 Track Tour had them. Ford Legal mandated them I was told.
if i had to venture a guess that would be due to that paticular engines high redline and the track use it would b e experiencing. street cars hardly ever see sustained 5k + rpm, and high g cornering that might cause higher than normal crankcase vapors
Old 05-11-2016, 02:17 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
if i had to venture a guess that would be due to that paticular engines high redline and the track use it would b e experiencing. street cars hardly ever see sustained 5k + rpm, and high g cornering that might cause higher than normal crankcase vapors
My car does.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:23 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
My car does.
then go for it, just trying to prevent people from impulse buying a product that is geared towards worry warts, that really doesnt address an actual problem
Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Kyle you should go into politics with that answer!

Well of course it's not mandatory, or it would be included with the Roushcharger kits. My question was whether the 5.OL Coyote engine actually has a problem of getting oil/oil mist back into the intake "with or without" a Roush Supercharger! Why do I ask? Because so many things sold today have "no real value" to the person who is scared into buying them. Being a returning Roush Customer having bought more than one Roushcharger, I was wondering if the Roush/Ford engineers or techs have opinions/facts on whether these oil separators are really an actual value since Ford doesn't to bother to put them on 5.0L engines in the Mustang GT? Some people think they are important & others have installed them & never seen any oil caught in the system. Can you get any information from Roush/Ford that really relates to the question? All I can get is theories based on no 1st hand evidence from Mustang enthusiasts.... & they don't agree!
Pull the throttle body and intake manifold off any vehicle made in the last 20 years that has some mileage and you know you'll see carbon and oil film, its there. I have not personally known anybody that had a failure of any type that would have been prevented by a catch can. Oil in the cylinder could lower your octane rating slightly, which is a big reason the people i know running them do so, however again I've never seen a failure due to not having one. If you ran pump gas and a custom tune that was on the ragged edge, I'd probably say get one. Our cals are very conservative and safe. If it was a different vehicle, like some of the new ecoboost cars with direct injection that coke the valves very quickly i'd say run one for sure but i wouldn't sweat it on your application. Again, if it makes you sleep better at night, put one on, but there haven't been failures due to the lack of a catch can here so its your choice.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Excellent post Kyle! Thank you!
Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 AM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kyle@ROUSH
Pull the throttle body and intake manifold off any vehicle made in the last 20 years that has some mileage and you know you'll see carbon and oil film, its there. I have not personally known anybody that had a failure of any type that would have been prevented by a catch can. Oil in the cylinder could lower your octane rating slightly, which is a big reason the people i know running them do so, however again I've never seen a failure due to not having one. If you ran pump gas and a custom tune that was on the ragged edge, I'd probably say get one. Our cals are very conservative and safe. If it was a different vehicle, like some of the new ecoboost cars with direct injection that coke the valves very quickly i'd say run one for sure but i wouldn't sweat it on your application. Again, if it makes you sleep better at night, put one on, but there haven't been failures due to the lack of a catch can here so its your choice.
Kyle is absolutely right. Going back to the fnsweet days when there was a lot of activity there. Many, Many Roush owners added the catch can. For the two reasons mentioned, Octane and oiling down the intercooler. I believe the intercooler was the most important to most of the Roush owners because an oiled down intercooler will not be nearly as efficient at transfering temps resulting in a loss of HP. Many of those Roush owners at the time on fnsweet were tracking their cars and they did not want the drop in horsepower. So this addition became the talk of the forum for a while. Even though my 427R is mainly a show car, a Sunday car, with an occasional trip to a track, I put one on mine as well just because I wanted to. I drain mine every time I change the oil which is not very often due to the low miles. I still see a small amount of oil each time. Most of the time not enough to fill a shot glass but it is working. For the average driver, there is no need to have one, unless you want one like Kyle said.