Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

BMR Tubular K member intalled!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 11:03 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

Default BMR Tubular K member intalled!

I just installed the BMR tubualar K member. I feel BMR did a great job on quality and design. Fit was perfect, welds look good. Would have helped for the instuctions to tell you the nuts for the power steering rack are fusion welded to the K member and that the two bolts have to come out from the top. They were kind of a bear to wrench but other than that the instructions were good. All torque values are given. Not too sure about the 35 ft/lbs for the poly motor mounts. They mashed down pretty much with only 30 pounds.

BMR does have great customer service I might mention. The four aluminum pieces that go under the A arm rear mounts were left out of the kit. I called and talked to Lee at BMR. He sent them out to me next day air. Now that's great support!

I measured a total weight savings of approximately 18 pounds. I weighed all hardwear/bolts that went in and came out at the same time to get my weight difference. My weights were done on my bathroom scale but I do feel the defference if fairly accurate. They advertise 20 pounds. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Is it worth the work? For a real racer 20 pounds is a good savings. For the average street racer, not too sure it's worth all the work and cost. Would I do it again. Yea, probably so.

Concerning the A arms. The factory are awfully heavy. 27/28 pounds for the two. Some tubular A arms might save a good bit there too.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BMR Tubular K member intalled!

Larry,

Nice write-up. I'm curious though. Did that weight savings include the motor mounts or not?

I remember having my motor mounts out when I did my headers, and I recall the OEM motor mounts being quite heavy. I would think that the tubular K-member should be saving more than 20 lbs of weight if it deleted the OEM mounts.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:58 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

yeah im thinking about doing the tubular k member as well, but is it worth the one that comes with the motor mounts or what?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 AM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Larry,

Nice write-up. I'm curious though. Did that weight savings include the motor mounts or not?

I remember having my motor mounts out when I did my headers, and I recall the OEM motor mounts being quite heavy. I would think that the tubular K-member should be saving more than 20 lbs of weight if it deleted the OEM mounts.
The weight savings includes the weight saved from the motor mounts. As I mentioned I weighed everything that went in and came out and the difference I weighed was 18 pounds. The factory mounts weigh 4 pounds each and are included in the 18 pounds savings.

I bought the AJE first but it is heavier than the BMR bya pound or so and uses the factory mounts which adds another 8 pounds. Total savings of the AJE would be less than 10 pounds I would estimate.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:03 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Does it handle better with this new K-membeR?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

Don't know. I'm working on a vibration and hum right now! Need to get it to the alignment shop first too.
ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

Does it handle better with this new K-membeR?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Royboy73

Went through the same problem. Other than that went on easy.

05 Mustang Gt
BMR K Member, Front Swaybar delete kit, Rear swaybar relocation kit, Drive shaft loop, Adjustable panhard bar, Upper control arm and mount.
Steeda Lower control arms, Tri Ax Shifter, Under drive pullies
Eibach Springs
4.30 Gear
Diablo Program
20in rims
Bassani Long Tube Headers w/ Hi flow cat x-pipe
12.70 @ 108.69

Old 10-12-2006, 12:49 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

Did you figure a way to eliminate some of the vibration?
ORIGINAL: Royboy73

Went through the same problem. Other than that went on easy.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Royboy73

I think some of the vibration is from the polyurethane bushings. If you notice the engine doesn't move much when you rev it up. The motor mount bushing makes it a lot stiffer than the stock mounts. I think that is the only mounts they have. Over all I am happy!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:54 AM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

I've got the BMR almost out now. With this automatic in gear idling the hum and vibration is unbearable for a street car. I tried loosening the bushings and that helped somewhat but not good enough. Going back to my factory K member.
ORIGINAL: Royboy73

I think some of the vibration is from the polyurethane bushings. If you notice the engine doesn't move much when you rev it up. The motor mount bushing makes it a lot stiffer than the stock mounts. I think that is the only mounts they have. Over all I am happy!

Quick Reply: BMR Tubular K member intalled!