Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > S197 Handling Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-24-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang Pony
Default 07 Mustang V6 Front Suspension Thunking Noise....

I own a 2007 Mustang V6 Pony.
I've already had the dealer attempt to fix the problem by replacing both front strut assemblies including the strut bearings at 1200 miles ;-), (great dealer! They gave it a shot and tried to fix it at least and I didn't even buy the car from them.) Covered it under warranty of course.

The problem is an anoying thunking noise coming from the front end suspension when going over small humps or bumps in the road at low speeds. Say 1 to 45 MPH. It's a subtle dull metalic 'thunk' that comes through loud enough to disturb my idea of a quiet ride and anyone who can discern between regular road noise and suspension noise can tell something strange is going on.

I and my mechanic both drove two other pony's and they make the same sound. It seems to me that Ford would or should have set it up so the darn front suspension isn't so bloody loud in the first place as you can hear everything the road has to offer!

It seems that the thunking noise is common even though when you drive a new near 0 miles stang you can hardly hear it, in fact it's not audible at all from what I recall. After a few hundred miles though, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk,,,every bloody bump or ripple in the road. The thunk isn't real loud but it's noticeable and if you pay attention to it too much it will agrivate the crap out of you.
The GT's do it too but it's a bit less noticeable.

Has anyone noticed this thunking sound in their '06 / '07 stangs?
I'm really curious as to if you do/did and what you did about it.

Thanks!
Wolfey
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
True Dual Exhaust X W/Flowmasters
GT Rear Bmpr Cvr
C&L CAI W/Helix TB Spacer
B a m a Chips Custom Tune
TLok
JBA Wires
wolfey2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Stangrunner06
1st Gear Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Stangrunner06
Default RE: 07 Mustang V6 Front Suspension Thunking Noise....

I got an 06 and on mine the noise seems to be in the rear or trunk area, it sounds like something is loose, I tried to velcro the spare tire cover cause when I go over a bump, it jumps up and makes the anoying noise. If it does come from the front end, check the body parts, bumper, grill, wheel wells, and even fenders, some body parts are clipped on and they may not be seated properly. Also look at the spacing of the seams ( Gaps) of the body parts to make sure they all are equal( or close to it) any that are not may be hitting.
Good Luck![sm=icon_rock.gif]
Billet shifter bezel, leather boot, HURST SHIFTER!! tints,GT f swaybar, poly bushings, Hellwig RSway bar, Black stripes, Oil Scavanger Sys.
More to come...
Stangrunner06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

i turn up my radio
Old 12-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT

I also have a thunking noise in my 2006 V6 Tungsten grey coupe that seems to come from the right front. It sounds like the wheel is loose or the shock is not secured. I pointed it out to my wife and she said she could hear it also. Was planning on having the dealer look into it when I take it in for an oil change. Has anyone been able to solve this problem? Is this noise more prominent in cars with the pony package or in coupes over converts? Is there a pattern here somewhere?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
MRock

When I changed my front swaybar to a GT I didn't torque the swaybar connectors enough to the struts and they made a clunking noise until I went under and re-torqued them to spec. Could be your problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hello gentlemen and ladies if there are any out here ;-).
I spent the better part of today at my favorite dealer where I have made friends with some of the mech's and service manager as we all like to tell old autoshop war stories and so on.

I had the stang in today to have my new Ford posi-trac' differential installed on my V6 Pony. While they were at it I went ahead and let them install my new dual exhaust system from Pypes. By the way, Pypes Violater mufflers are droning monsters!
The stock muffler has a resonating dampener welded to the exhaust tip. It absorbs and keeps muffler drone from making it's way into the cab of the car!
I am going to try getting hold of a couple of them and clamp one to each muffler to see how much it cancels out the drone. I hope it's completely gone and if not, I am going to replace the mufflers with either GT take offs or perhaps I'll try the JBA which I understand are not too shabby and don't offer up drone! GOD I hate that noise!

Okay, while I was hanging out with the guys, the service manager asked me how it's going with the clunking problem. I told him it's still there and I was about to come see him about it so we can get hold of Ford's engineering dept. and see if they are aware of it.

He has to log on to their exclusive dealer only assistance hotline. Waited for him to jump through all the hoops to get to the section where he fills out a form that asks specific questions regaring customer vehicle complaints.

Here's a typed copy of the Q&A. Enjoy and rejoice my friends! Help is on the way! Finally!

REQUEST FOR DETAILS:
DISCRIPTION OF VEHICLE CONCERN:
clunking noise over small road deflections at low speeds.

DIAGNOSIS PERFORMED:
visual inspection of all suspension components.

PARTS REPLACED:
front strut assemblies at earlier service visit.

QUESTION: WERE YOU ABLE TO VERIFY THE CONCERN?
ANSWER: Yes

QUESTION: Is there an appropriate pinpoint test in the WSM for this concern?
ANSWER: No

QUESTION: Was the pinpoint test followed?
ANSWER

TECH'S QUESTION:
information to assist in better diagnnosis of concern

HOTLINE RECOMENDATION
get off your fat enginering asses and come up with a fix for this friggin problem! < just kidding, I added that ;-).
(note, at this point the service manager clicks on send, waits a few seconds and Ford spits out a phone number for him to call. Evidently the number is for the specific person or team addressing this problem at Ford engineering.)
Then he's sent a LOG of the call and a summary of their conversation as written below.

CALL LOG:

CALLS TO HOTLINE FOR THIS VEHICLE (he entered my VIN and some other data at the beginning of the hoops)

1/16/07 12:15 PM - TECH SAID:
NOISE IN RIGHT FRONT OVER BUMPS AT LOW SPEED. THE STRUTS HAVE BEEN ISOLATED TO NOISE, COMPARES TO OTHER VEHICLES THAT HAVE BEEN TESTED IN THE PAST.

1/16/07 12:15 PM - HOTLINE RECOMENDED:
ADVISED DEALER THAT THE ISSUE IS BEING LOOKED INTO AT THE ENGINEERING LEVEL. CONVERTABLE MUSTANGS HAVE ALL THE SAME PARTS BUT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE NOISE, SO THEY ARE EVALUATING THE SUBFRAME CONNECTORS AS A POSSIBLE FIX AS WELL AS THE STRUT MOUNTS.
THESE ISSUES HAVE TO BE EVALUATED FOR ROBUST FIX AND CRASH TESTED, SO THE REPAIR MAY NOT BE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE, BUT THE FIX IS COMING IN THE FORM OF A TSB OR SSM. THE ISSUE IS NOT STRUCTURAL AND IS ONLY COSMETIC AND IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE. WAIT FORM MESSAGE TO MAKE REPAIRS.
THANK YOU!
END OF MESSAGE.

Now I talked with the service manager a bit more analysing what they were saying regarding it only being a cosmetic issue?
He said that they consider it so because it's nothing that is dangerous. It is an cosmetic issue because it is only an annoyance issue.

Well that makes sense to me as much as I hate to admit it but they are right.
He showed me a blueprint of the subframe to body connections. They are bolts with hard rubber bushings around them with a metal shaft up the middle as with most frame to body bushings on any vehicle. They are small ones, not the huge ones you see on other vehicles.

My theory is that the subframe is flexing to the degree that it allows a tiny bit of side play (normal as that's what the bushings are there for), but the side play is sufficient enough to be a concern or possible cause. The strut bearings are an obvious issue. No need for analyzation. If there is any end play in the bearing i.e. up and down play, it's going to thunk!

That's the story folks. Problem solved....almost!
Anyway, I'm happy that Ford is on top of it and we will soon see a TSB out on the issue with the correct and permanent fix!

Look forward to it I'd guess within the next few weeks to few months!
Wolfey2k
GT Rear Bmpr Cvr
TLok
JBA Wires
Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi, Yes I have the same problem too. Under 35mph, small bumps and makes a rattling/thunk noise. It's driving me crazy. I was at the dealer today with no results. I also contacted Ford directly also no results. And I've had this problem since the first day. Brand new 07. I live on a bumpy road so I noticed it right off. I've heard everything from bad upper bearing assembly to bad struts. We need help please.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Hi, Yes I have the same problem too. Under 35mph, small bumps and makes a rattling/thunk noise. It's driving me crazy. I was at the dealer today with no results. I also contacted Ford directly also no results. And I've had this problem since the first day. Brand new 07. I live on a bumpy road so I noticed it right off. I've heard everything from bad upper bearing assembly to bad struts. We need help please.
Have you read the post, info' above your post regarding the TSB that should be coming out pretty soon that will handle the THUNKING problem?
GT Rear Bmpr Cvr
TLok
JBA Wires
Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hereā€™s something that may offer you some comfort.
That thunking noise bugs me too.
I just talked to the service manager at my dealer today 2-9-07,and he is checking up on the Ford engineering team'sprogress thus far. Supposedly they have fixed the problem and are running federally mandated crash and safety tests before releasing the fix as a TSB.
GT Rear Bmpr Cvr
TLok
JBA Wires
Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Hey Wolfey2k,

I think I got that noise too... just thought it was the fact I live on a dirt road...

I'll have them look at it (and tell them of the pending TSB?) when I get my axle upgraded to T-LOC.

My Stang: http://SOHCman.gotstang.com
2006 Mustang Coupe:
Current Mileage:
SOHCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
07, 2006, 2007, bad, bearing, changed, ford, front, knocking, mustang, noise, strut, suspension, thunking, v6